Citizens’ Climate Radio Ep. 62: Hispanic Republicans with Geraldo Cadava

Average Rating:

Citizens’ Climate Radio is a monthly podcast hosted by CCLer Peterson Toscano. Browse all our past episode recaps here, or listen to past episodes here, and check out the latest episode in the post below. 

Geraldo Cadava is the author of “The Hispanic Republican: The Shaping of An American Political Identity, from Nixon to Trump.” He chatted with Citizens’ Climate Radio about the long history of Hispanics and the Republican party. He reveals what is often misunderstood about the political diversity of Latinos in America. The most asked question he gets is why any Latino voted for Donald Trump. He talks about this and a lot more, including exploring how Hispanic Republicans relate to climate change.

Geraldo Cadava is a professor of History and Latina and Latino Studies at Northwestern University. He received a Ph.D. in History from Yale University in 2008, and he received a B.A., also in History, from Dartmouth College in 2000. His areas of expertise are Latino History, the United States-Mexico Borderlands, Latin American immigration to the United States, and American politics. 

Listen Now!

The Art House

Over 10 years ago, Elli Sparks was struggling to make sense of climate change. She said, “That summer in Virginia was insanely hot. I remember being in the community pool and when I popped my head out of the water, the water evaporated so quickly I felt downright cold! I also remember walking with coworkers to the cafeteria and thinking, ‘Why in the world are none of these people alarmed about climate change?’”

She was really struggling, so she wrote a story for herself. “Tell Me A Story” is a conversation between a parent and a child, a story within a story. Elli, who is now Citizens’ Climate Lobby’s Director of Field Development, has shared the story with friends, fellow climate advocates, and at public gatherings. She gave Citizens’ Climate Radio permission to turn the story into a short radio play. “Tell Me a Story” is performed by Zeke and Anna Loomis-Weber. 

Anna Weber-Loomis just finished her first year at Sterling College in Vermont. She is studying outdoor education and sustainable agriculture. Zeke Weber-Loomis just finished her first year of high school. She spends her free time drawing, playing ukulele, and running cross-country and track.

You can hear standalone versions of The Art House at Artists and Climate Change.

Good News Report

Hunter Thomas, a Latino and a Conservative Outreach Fellow for Citizens’ Climate Lobby shares good news about productive meetings he is having with CCL’s Latino Action Team. He is excited about reaching out to Latino conservatives, especially in promoting carbon fee and dividend as a bold and effective solution that appeals to the right and left.

If you have good news to share, email us radio @ citizensclimate.org

Dig Deeper     

We always welcome your thoughts, questions, suggestions, and recommendations for the show. Leave a voicemail at (518) 595-9414 (+1 if calling from outside the USA). You can email your answers to radio @ citizensclimate.org. You can hear Citizens’ Climate Radio on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher RadioSoundCloudPodbeanNorthern Spirit RadioGoogle PlayPlayerFM, and TuneIn Radio. Also, feel free to connect with other listeners, suggest program ideas, and respond to programs in the Citizens’ Climate Radio Facebook group or on Twitter at @CitizensCRadio.

Posted by Brett Cease on Aug 2, 2021 11:37 AM America/Los_Angeles

Share this

Share:

Recent Posts

March 27, 2024 Last week, we told you about an anti-carbon tax resolution up for a vote in the House. In just 48 hours, CCL volunteers jumped into action to call members of Congress more than 1,250 times and encourage them to vote no. Unfortunately on Friday, the House passed that resolution by a slim margin, with a handful of Democrats joining most ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Mar 28, 2024 9:04 AM PDT
March 20, 2024  It’s a busy week on Capitol Hill! Today, attendees at our Conservative Climate Leadership Conference and Lobby Day are holding dozens of volunteer lobby meetings with Republican lawmakers in the House and Senate.  They’re ready to make a big impact after hearing yesterday’s informative training sessions and powerful guest ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Mar 21, 2024 4:21 PM PDT
March 13, 2024 Registration is now open for CCL’s 2024 Summer Conference & Lobby Day! Called “ Making Moves and Moving Congress, ” this annual conference and lobby day is CCL’s flagship event. It takes place June 8-11 this year in Washington, D.C. It’s clearer than ever that being able to find common ground with each other brings us closer to the climate ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Mar 13, 2024 3:24 PM PDT
March 6, 2024  Lobbying works. It’s why corporations spend billions of dollars on it every year. We don’t have corporate billions — but with your help, we can raise the funds we need to make lobbying work for the planet, not for profit. Starting now, you have the opportunity to quadruple your impact: All new and increased monthly donations started in ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Mar 7, 2024 12:53 PM PST