Add Team Menu Item
Chart of the Week
EVs reached 7% of new car sales in the US in 2022
Join the discussion about the 2023 Sustainable Energy in America FactbookView Topic
Welcome to our Onboarding Action Team!Hosted by Elli Sparks (firstname.lastname@example.org). Meeting on the 3rd Tuesday of each month during the day.
9 am PT / 10 am MT / 11 am CT / 12 noon ET
Meeting ID: 531 363 0429
In addition to onboarding best practices, we share effective ways to conduct outreach, engage new volunteers, and retain chapter members. Please join us as we learn from each other!
Upcoming Speaker Line-up
9:00 a.m. PT/12:00 p.m. ET
- April 18, 2023 - Youth Engagement with Sharon Bagatell
- May 16, 2023 - Having Fun doing Outreach, Onboarding & Retention with Tamara Staton
- June 20, 2023 - Empowering Your Requesting with Jean Ritok
Does your chapter have special, unique or particularly successful ways of onboarding new volunteers? If so, please share in our Onboarding Action Team forum!
Hot TipUsing this recipe in Louisiana, we now have 58% of new prospects accept our offer to talk on the phone or zoom. It's now 50% in Mississippi and 25% in Alaska. If you want these same results, then follow our recipe for success.
- Contact new prospects immediately.
- Send a very short email. If they don’t respond, two days later, send a short text.
- Message contains one question: Do you have ~30 to talk on the phone this week or next?
My name is [YOUR NAME], and I’m a welcome volunteer with Citizens’ Climate Lobby. Thanks for signing up!
Do you have ~30 to talk on the phone this week or next? The call would give you a brief overview of our organization and begin the start of finding a role for you.
If you’re interested in taking focused action on climate change, we’d love to have you join our local chapter! Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you, and I hope to hear back soon!
Do you need help calling or texting volunteers to remind them of your monthly meeting or Climate Advocate Training or other chapter activity?
Our group development intern, Danielle Whyte can help! Please fill out this Meeting Reminders: Request for Help. Danielle will respond to you within a few days. Please submit your request at least 3 days before your meeting.
Onboarding Welcome Team Program Resources
- Onboarding Welcome Team Manual
- Allocator Job Description
- Onboarder Job Description
- Onboarding Welcome Team Shared Spreadsheet - Template
- Onboarding Welcome Call Form - for use DURING your Welcome Call
- Welcome Call Script
- Onboarding Welcome Form - to send to your new prospect AFTER the Welcome Call
Role Descriptions & Email Templates
Tools for Sending Meeting Reminders
CCU Training: Growing Your Local Group
- Conference Presentation: Dallas/Ft Worth describes their Welcome Program.
- Slide Deck: First Engagement Email from HQ (less than 10 minutes) Review of the initial email that HQ sends to new prospects.
- Getting New Volunteers Engaged - CCL Community Training
- Onboarding Best Practices Workshop
- Slide Deck: Onboarding: Building a Dynamic and Efficient Chapter Level Welcome Process for New Volunteers (25 minutes)
Meeting recordings and resources
- Sept 2021: Page Potter, NC Raleigh Durham, Onboarding Teamwork (Chat)
- Oct 2021: Garrett Pennell, TX Dallas-Fort Worth - Organizing Tools
- Nov 2021: Brett Cease, Staff Member, Climbing the Pyramid of Engagement
- Dec 2021: Stuart Collins, Monthly Meeting Dos & Don'ts for Retaining Volunteers
- Jan 2022: Nicky Robinson, Engaging New Volunteers
- Feb 2022: Victoria Hendricks, Motivational Interviewing
- Mar 2022: Hilary Conway, Mentoring New Volunteers
- April 2022: Ellie Sparks, Grassroots Outreach for Chapter Growth
- May 2022: Sharon Bagatell, Youth Engagement in CCL Chapters
- June 2022: Jean Ritok, Empowering Your Requesting
- Aug 2022: Garrett Pennell, Structuring for Success
- Sept 2022: Elizabeth Dell/Linda Racine, The Onboarding Welcome Call
- Oct 2022: Steffanie Munguía, Recruiting and Retaining College Climate Advocates
- Nov 2022: Brett Cease, Ways to Use Community to Grow Your Chapter
- Jan 2023: John Sabin, Using Motivational Interviewing in the Onboarding Call
- Feb 2023: Danielle White, Diverse & Equitable Outreach, Onboarding, & Retention
- Mar 2023: Elli Sparks, Empowering Chapters: Tips & Techniques for Effective Volunteer Engagement & Retention
An appreciation of onboarding
I just wanted to comment that the welcome call I received as a new member of the Austin chapter is what led to me being involved in the MCC campaign, the lobby team, and this new ad project we have. Without that call, I don’t know how long it would have taken me to get involved and/or if I would have ever gotten involved in the MCC campaign. Those welcome calls are great for getting people engaged, especially in the context of "what types of actions do you like," leading them right then and there to step into a campaign. - Matt Mire, TX Austin volunteer
Our Mission Statement
The mission of the Onboarding Action Team is to provide a place for education, sharing and resources for the onboarding process in a nurturing, interactive and enjoyable environment. We view onboarding expansively to include acclimating new and prospective volunteers, activating and retaining volunteers, and chapter development and organization.
We invite guest speakers from chapters which have a proven track record for successful onboarding, volunteer engagement and retention, providing resources and tools, and chapter development. We create a learning environment for group leaders and onboarding teams who are seeking information on successful onboarding processes for their own chapters.