Hosted by Elli Sparks (email@example.com) and Sandy Simon (firstname.lastname@example.org) and meeting on the 3rd Tuesday of each month during the day.
Join us on July 19th for our next action team meeting:
9 am PT / 10 am MT / 11 am CT / 12 noon ET on Zoom:
Meeting ID: 531 363 0429
Would you like to learn how to get new volunteers involved with chapter activities, become productive additions to your group and remain active over time? In the Onboarding Action Team’s monthly meetings, volunteers from across the country will share their successful methods and practices with our action team members.
The Onboarding Action Team promises to be informative, interactive and lots of fun as we explore together how to bring new volunteers onboard in our chapters where they can take action and help us build political will.
We hope you will join us for our informative meetings. Sign up at the link below.
Upcoming Speaker Line-up - Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m. PT/12:00 p.m. ET
- July 19th - Karina Ramirez, Using Social Media to Grow Your Chapter
- Aug 16th - Garrett Pennell, Team Development for Chapter Growth
- Sept 20 - Linda Racine and Elizabeth Dell, The Onboarding Welcome Call
Does your chapter have special, unique or particularly successful ways of onboarding new volunteers? If so, let us know about it! Email Sandy Simon at email@example.com with the details.
Group Development Intern
Does your chapter need help calling volunteers to remind them of your monthly meeting? Our group development intern, Danielle Whyte can help! Please fill out this request for help form. Danielle will respond to you within a few days.
Onboarding Resources:Welcome Program Manuals
- Welcome Program Procedures - abbreviated version
- Welcome Program Procedures from Dallas/Ft Worth Chapter
- Printed Version - CCL Community Resource
- Google Slides - for online presentations and workshops.
- Google Form - make a copy to use for your own local CCL chapter's use
Mining Your Chapter Roster Resources
- Mining Your Chapter Roster Training for below resources
- Chapter Organizational Chart - A Google Jamboard for taking an inventory of who is doing what in your chapter.
- Multiple Chapters Organizational Chart - A Google Jamboard for taking inventory when several chapters work together on one or more of the Five Levers
- Volunteer Opportunity Email Templates - template emails for announcing volunteer position openings. You can tailor these emails to suit your chapter's needs.
- Virtual Signup Sheet - A Google Form for use in meetings, functions like a virtual clipboard where volunteers can indicate their personal CCL monthly action
We had several people identify that they wanted a mentor, so I connected them with other volunteers in the chapter.
I will go back through the responses next week and connect volunteers with resources on CCL Community or with an Action Team leader or CCL staff who can help them figure out how to take the actions they want to take this month."
- Sean Dague, CCL NY Mid Hudson South Chapter
CCU Training: Growing Your Local Group
- Conference Presentation: Dallas/Ft Worth describes their Welcome Program.
- Slide Deck: First Engagement Email from HQ (less than 10 minutes) Review of the initial email that HQ sends to new prospects.
- Getting New Volunteers Engaged - CCL Community Training
- Onboarding Best Practices Workshop
- Slide Deck: Onboarding: Building a Dynamic and Efficient Chapter Level Welcome Process for New Volunteers (25 minutes)
Meeting recordings and resources:
- Sept 2021: Page Potter, NC Raleigh Durham, Onboarding Teamwork (Chat)
- Oct 2021: Garrett Pennell, TX Dallas-Fort Worth - Organizing Tools
- Nov 2021: Brett Cease, Staff Member, Climbing the Pyramid of Engagement
- Dec 2021: Stuart Collins, Monthly Meeting Dos & Don'ts for Retaining Volunteers
- Jan 2022: Nicky Robinson, Engaging New Volunteers
- Feb 2022: Victoria Hendricks, Motivational Interviewing
- Mar 2022: Hilary Conway, Mentoring New Volunteers
- April 2022: Ellie Sparks, Grassroots Outreach for Chapter Growth
- May 2022: Sharon Bagatell, Youth Engagement in CCL Chapters
- June 2022: Jean Ritok, Empowering Your Requesting
An appreciation of onboarding:
I just wanted to comment that the welcome call I received as a new member of the Austin chapter is what led to me being involved in the MCC campaign, the lobby team, and this new ad project we have. Without that call, I don’t know how long it would have taken me to get involved and/or if I would have ever gotten involved in the MCC campaign. Those welcome calls are great for getting people engaged, especially in the context of "what types of actions do you like," leading them right then and there to step into a campaign. - Matt Mire, TX Austin volunteer
Our Mission Statement:
The mission of the Onboarding Action Team is to provide a place for education, sharing and resources for the onboarding process in a nurturing, interactive and enjoyable environment. We view onboarding expansively to include acclimating new and prospective volunteers, activating and retaining volunteers, and chapter development and organization.
We invite guest speakers from chapters which have a proven track record for successful onboarding, volunteer engagement and retention, providing resources and tools, and chapter development. We create a learning environment for group leaders and onboarding teams who are seeking information on successful onboarding processes for their own chapters.