Welcome to the Quaker Action Team!
Our goal is to engage Quakers (Unprogrammed, Evangelical, Pastoral and Conservative branches) in climate action, with an emphasis on understanding the value of a carbon fee and dividend approach. Below you will find many resources beyond the flier and calendar noted above.
Check out Citizens' Climate Radio by Quaker Peterson Toscano - Ex: April 23 - Black Birders Week with Tykee James
QUNO (Quaker United Nations Office) - Human Impacts of Climate Change web page - 2021 Resource "How to be a hero for all our children" Climate Resource Document (12 succinct cases made for climate action - for use with elected officials), Joint Quaker Climate statement (2018 Version PDF, or online).
FCNL (Friends Committee on National Legislation) Statements & Supported Interfaith Resources:
- FCNL's EICDA statements 2021 and before - along with all faith statements on EICDA website
- FCNL's Carbon Pricing Principles (April 1, 2021)
- Another Look at FCNL’s Carbon Pricing Principles (April 19, 2021)
- FCNL's analysis of 6 specific 2019 bills that price carbon (EICDA is one)
- Migration and the Climate Crisis (April 19, 2021)
- Climate Champions: Young Adult Advocates Convince Their Representative to Join the Climate Solutions Caucus (October 6, 2017) - relationship between CCL & FCNL
- Signed on: 2019 Interfaith Carbon Pricing Principles
- WISC (Washington Interreligious Staff Community) summary of IPCC Report by Energy & Ecology Working Group
- WISC summary of US National Climate Assessment (by region)
EICDA Minutes of Support & Endorsement:
- Quakers listed on EICDA website as of 5-1-21 with 146 faith groups signed-on - (AZ: Flagstaff Friends Meeting, Tempe Friends Meeting, MD: Cester River Riends Meeting, MN: Carmon Valley Friends, NV: Reno Friends Quaker Meeting, NY: Sarasota Monthly Meeting, PA: Bucks Quarterly)
- NYYM (NY, CT, NJ): New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (all of NY and parts of CT and NJ) encourages the enactment of carbon pricing legislation in 2021.
- PA: Fallsington and Lehight Valley Monthly Meetings have endorsed. Bucks Quarterly has as well.
- AZ: Flagstaff (AZ01) and Tempe (AZ09) have each endorsed HR 763. AHYM (Arizona Half-Yearly Meeting) in process. IMYM (Intermountain Yearly Meeting - AZ, UT, NM, CO) has a 2019 Climate Change Minute that references HR 763.
- SD: Rapid City called on Meetings (Monthly, Regional & Yearly) to Support Carbon Pricing & Sign CCL Endorsers Letters
The existing Quaker Climate Statement & Signatories is also available from QEW here: http://www.quakerearthcare.org/article/shared-quaker-statement-facing-challenge-climate-change
As Quakers, we are encouraged to share our inspiring stories at either of the above links.
What is missing? Your links can be added here, just contact Gretchen.