Eliana Berlfein’s Legacy

Average Rating:
By Lynate Pettengill

My friend and Citizens’ Climate Lobby volunteer extraordinaire Eliana Berlfein loved to tube down Boulder Creek just as much as I do: as in, A LOT. Eliana preferred slow, gentle floats, whereas I liked a little more speed and adventure. Our last float together in August 2018 was perfect by Eliana’s standards – somewhere between floating and just sitting in a tube on the water, with plenty of time to enjoy the beauty of the creek, trees and mountains all around us. It turns out that was Eliana’s last time to tube down Boulder Creek. I’m beyond grateful it was exactly what she wanted.

Last October, Eliana started having unusual abdominal pain. When she went in to see the doctor, she got shocking news: Pancreatic cancer, and maybe only a few more weeks to live. There were no good treatment options, but Eliana chose to accept this unexpected turn of events with a most unexpected attitude. She felt like her 64 years walking around on this planet were quite sufficient. She was actually excited to see what this next adventure called death would be like, believing strongly that her soul would go on and that she would connect once again with loved ones passed. I hope when I come to the end of my life, I can do so with even half as much grace and acceptance as did Eliana. 

Eliana Berlfein

Eliana’s CCL journey started slow and with much resistance. Eventually, though, she was lured in with a request to bake something for a Boulder CCL summer potluck. Her peach cobbler was a huge hit, and she started to attend our local meetings each month.

It was her sisters, Judy Berlfein and Davia Rivka, who found ways to keep her in the game. The Berlfein sisters are a competitive crew…

An example is the time Judy Berlfein and friends hosted a successful CCL scholarship breakfast fundraiser in Encinitas, CA. As a result, Eliana decided she would give it a try in Boulder, and hoped to surpass what Judy’s group had raised. She did manage to best her sister, three times over in fact, ending with almost $13,000 raised. This was the beginning of a string of successful fundraisers for scholarship money. Eliana had found her CCL niche.

So after receiving her cancer diagnosis, Eliana quickly went in to revise her will. First she took care of her beloved family, but then she chose to leave a gift of $15,000 to the Boulder group for future scholarships, worried that they might not be able to raise enough money without her. She also made a huge gift commitment to CCL’s national efforts. When the rest of her estate settles, Eliana will have donated over $200,000 to our climate solution work.

Toward the end of her time here on this earth, she and I had a beautiful, albeit super emotional talk. She let me know about her planned gift commitment, and she also said she would do whatever she could from the other side to help us implement a significant climate solution. We all have our beliefs around death, and none of us know for sure how this all shakes out at the end. But I have a feeling that Eliana is cheering us on, celebrating with us each time we take a significant step forward. 

Thank you, my dear friend. I am so very grateful for all your CCL contributions and for all the beautiful memories from our many adventures together.

Lynate Pettengill is the Senior Development Director for Citizens’ Climate Lobby and Citizens’ Climate Education. If you are interested in learning more about making a legacy gift commitment to CCL or CCE, please contact development @ citizensclimate.org.

Posted by Topher Anderson on May 26, 2021 3:43 PM America/Los_Angeles

Share this

Share:

Recent Posts

Episode 94: Antarctic Awakenings: Unveiling Climate Change at the Ends of the Earth with Elizabeth Rush In this episode of Citizens’ Climate Radio, co-hosts Peterson Toscano and Erica Valdez explore the theme of climate change and its impact on Antarctica. They interviewed  Elizabeth Rush , author of “ The Quickening, Creation, and Community at the ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Apr 26, 2024 10:43 AM PDT
April 24, 2024 One of CCL’s activities during election years is to mobilize people who care about climate and the environment to cast their votes. We do this through postcarding, phone banking, door-to-door canvassing in some locations, and more. Many of these efforts are in partnership with our friends at the nonpartisan Environmental Voter ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Apr 25, 2024 1:23 PM PDT
April 17, 2024 “The key principle for any effective communication is to meet people where they are.” That’s advice we heard this past Saturday from Potential Energy’s Ernesto Alcantar, who joined CCL’s April call as a guest speaker. Ernesto reminded us that most members of the public don’t know a whole lot about climate change. So, how do we connect with ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Apr 17, 2024 7:38 PM PDT
April 10, 2024 "There is special magic that happens at CCL's Regional Conferences across our country every year,” says Brett Cease, our Vice President of Programs. This past weekend, that magic happened in three of CCL’s regions — California, the Mountain West, and the Southeast.  California’s regional event welcomed 150 attendees (pictured ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Apr 10, 2024 9:18 PM PDT