Hope For The Best, Prepare For The Worst

Average Rating:

My brother's question caught me by surprise. "So what’s your plan if you get COVID?" he asked me. "And what's Mom's" Oh! Right.

9e2c195cbdfa68cfe9ffc96632f658fc-huge-lyMy mom added a couple more pesky questions a few days later. "Where are your durable power of attorney and advance health directive documents stored, Lynate?" I didn't even have those documents created. I was busted!

Their questions were the wake up call I needed, and I sprang into action. When the three of us met by phone the next week, I had a COVID plan, plus these two documents AND a will all completed.

I'm hoping I don't have to use these documents for a good long while, but it felt good to know I’d prepared for the worst. It also felt good to know I had left gifts in my will to my son and several other family members, as well as a percentage to Citizens' Climate Lobby, ensuring my commitment to a livable climate extends even past my own lifetime.

If you or any of your family members are having similar conversations these days, or are motivated to work on this for other reasons, please know that Citizens' Climate Lobby now has a 100% free estate planning resource available to you. We partnered with FreeWill to offer a quick and easy way to complete a durable power of attorney, advanced healthcare directives, and a will. While you do have the option to create a legacy by designating Citizens' Climate Lobby as one of your beneficiaries, you certainly aren’t required to do so. These resources exist to help you protect what matters most, and are free regardless whether or not you make these gifts.

FreeWill partners with many non-profit organizations, including United Way and the American Heart Association, and we are confident that this is a trusted resource for you and your family. You can find out more here.

I'm going to continue to be careful and make decisions which give me the best chance of not getting sick with COVID, and I hope you are able to stay safe, too. But I'm grateful to have used some of this downtime to get my affairs in order. And I'm really looking forward to the day when we can all be together once more. Take good care, and stay strong!

Lynate Pettengill is Senior Development Director for CCL and CCE. She works remotely from Boulder, CO, and can't wait to get back out in the mountains once shelter-in-place orders are lifted.

Posted by Topher Anderson on Jul 14, 2021 10:50 AM America/Los_Angeles

Share this

Share:

Recent Posts

By Dana Nuccitelli, CCL Research Coordinator Note: This article originally appeared on CCL's Blog. To meet our share of greenhouse gas emissions cuts as part of the Paris target to limit global warming to well below 2°C (3.6°F) above pre-industrial levels, the United States has committed to cutting emissions by  50–52% below 2005 levels by 2030 . ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Sep 24, 2021 8:48 PM PDT
September 22, 2021 Campaign urging Biden to support carbon price nears 10K messages  In just two weeks, CCL’s campaign to email President Biden and ask him to support carbon pricing has generated nearly 10,000 messages to the White House. The push comes as the Senate Finance Committee works to complete its section of the budget reconciliation bill, ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Sep 22, 2021 2:58 PM PDT
September 15, 2021 Signs that carbon pricing could end up in the reconciliation bill continue to be encouraging. The latest indication comes from Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse’s Twitter posts. Sen. Whitehouse, who sits on the Senate Finance Committee currently drafting climate provisions in the budget reconciliation bill,  tweeted  on Friday that ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Sep 15, 2021 2:54 PM PDT
September 8, 2021 On Friday, news broke that the Senate Finance Committee is actively considering a price on carbon as part of the budget reconciliation package. Senators are discussing a carbon fee that would start at $15 per ton, escalating over time, and be paired with rebates to households and a border carbon adjustment. Sound familiar? “This is a ... more
Posted by Brett Cease on CCL Community Bulletin Sep 8, 2021 4:07 PM PDT