New York Times re heat pump myths - Feb 24, 2023
Iona Lutey
178 Posts

“As Heat Pumps Go Mainstream, a Big Question: Can They Handle Real Cold?” - good article here.

12 Replies
Bob James
866 Posts

@Iona Lutey Thanks. That is great that heat pumps  can heat in very cold temperatures, and that they more efficiently use energy than gas furnaces, but the  big question I am hearing from several folks is - “Will an affordable heat pump cost more to heat my house than a gas furnace, especially during very cold nights?"  Basically, if their old gas furnace stops working, does it make sense to their budget to afford a new heat pump even after the initial cost?

Example:  Given an 8 hour period of outside temperature at 8°F, and same weatherization conditions, how would the price of heating with a new gas furnace compare to a heat pump? 

When I get these questions, what are good sources to share with people?  Daily heating and cooling budgets impact a much greater % of some people's income and I think it is the biggest question facing them when we approach them with the idea of turning off the gas for heating. 

Hi @Bob James.  It's not a simple question to answer because it depends on a lot of factors.  For example, all heating systems are expensive, so how are we defining ‘affordable’?  What sort of heating system would the heat pump be replacing? How much does the fuel for that heating system cost, and how much are local electric rates?

I'd point to this Carbon Switch article and this heat pump blog to help answer the question though.

Bob James
866 Posts

Thanks, @Dana Nuccitelli, for those great articles! 

When our HVAC servicers tell us that "natural" gas is “clean and cheaper” I realize the HVAC providers  are not realizing yet the need to change. There is a lot of educating and adjustments needed. I hope one day HVAC servicers are ready to promote the best non-fossil sources for their customers.

A national price on carbon with a dividend may help that transition.  However even when most of the fossil sources are stopped, priced out of the market, the clean sources need to be affordable to all.  

I wish the IRA provided a way to reap benefits now (credits or rebates) for participating in solar projects without personally investing in solar panels. I know some funds are intended for paticipation in solar community programs, but it would be great if we could benefit via your existing utility's projects. For exanple,  Ga. Power provides a way to pay $25 for KWhr block of a solar project but they tell you to expect to pay more for using the solar source, that the  credits appearing on your monthly electric bill, even in sunny times, will not exceed your $25/kwhr block cost .  If we could take a tax credit for participating in our utility's solar/renewable projects like Ga. Power's offer,  perhaps cooling/heating cost reduction would benefit more participants who do not have access or levearage-able financing affordable for putting a solar panel on their own roof and it would escalate utility company's transition to renewable sources. 

Thanks again, 

Bob

@Iona Lutey Maine winters can be forbiddingly cold, however today's heat pumps work in ME.  We installed two back in 2021 and are pleased with results re. comfort and cost.

Bob James
866 Posts

Thanks, @William Fergusson for sharing this. My friend who needs to replace his gas furnace in Ga would like to ask you some questions. Do you mind answering these either on the thread here or priviately to me at BobJames07@gmail.com.  Thanks! 

How do their heating costs with the heat pumps compare to the system
   they replaced?  Higher? Lower? About the same?
 * Why 2? Is it just the layout of the house?
 * What's the SEER rating on the unit?
 * Is the heat pump the sole source of heating or is there an auxiliary
   system (e.g. gas furnace)?
 * If there's an auxiliary system, at what temp does it take over for
   the heat pump (roughly)?
 * Did they have to upgrade insulation, windows etc. to seal the
   envelope? How critical was that to success? [I'd guess homes in ME
   are already pretty well sealed to begin with.]

Thanks!

Bob

@Bob James

Thanks, @William Fergusson for sharing this. My friend who needs to replace his gas furnace in Ga would like to ask you some questions. Do you mind answering these either on the thread here or priviately to me at BobJames07@gmail.com.  Thanks! 

How do their heating costs with the heat pumps compare to the system
   they replaced?  Higher? Lower? About the same?  Before installing heat pumps, we heated with oil boiler.  Heat Pumps are more cost effective and provide greater comfort.  Here is Efficiency Maine weblink  with videos, cost comparisons, etc.  www.efficiencymaine.com

* Why 2? Is it just the layout of the house?  Ductless heat pumps heat zones unlike ducted oil or gas furnaces.  
 * What's the SEER rating on the unit?  Will get back to you on this.
 * Is the heat pump the sole source of heating or is there an auxiliary
   system (e.g. gas furnace)?  We use oil burner furnace when temperature drops to zero.  
 * If there's an auxiliary system, at what temp does it take over for
   the heat pump (roughly)?
 * Did they have to upgrade insulation, windows etc. to seal the
   envelope? How critical was that to success? [I'd guess homes in ME
   are already pretty well sealed to begin with.  No.  Older homes may require sealing and insulation upgrades, however.

T Todd Elvins
2627 Posts

Hi All,

This is a terrific dialog. I suggest that we move this over to the Forum of the Electrification Action Team where the 225 team members can all benefit from the technology discussion.  If there are policy and congress aspects for further discussion, i recommend that we continue those here in the CCL Policy Agenda forums. 

Bob James
866 Posts

@T Todd Elvins Thanks.  

Bill (@William Fergusson) and I are continuing this discussion on the Electrificaion and Action Team forum here - Important considerations when replacing a gas furnace with a heat pump (especially for middle and low-income households).   Hopefully more will benefit from its post there. 

@Dana Nuccitelli So we are looking at getting a heat pump drier and dishwasher. We found online. Any thoughts?

Hi @Sandy Spears.  Unfortunately there aren't any IRA incentives for dishwashers, and there will only be rebates for heat pump clothes dryers (in the future, once the rebate programs are set up) if you currently have a fossil fueled clothes dryer.

@Dana Nuccitelli do they work? I don't hear about anyone who owns one

Me either @Sandy Spears, but a heat pump is an established and very efficient technology, so they should work great 🤓

Forum help

Select a question below

CCL Community's Sitewide Forums are an easy and exciting way to interact with other members on CCL Community.  The Sitewide Forums are focused on subjects and areas of general interest to members.  Each forum consists of topics that members have posted, along with replies from other members. Some forums are divided into categories to group similar topics together. 

Any members can post a topic or reply to a topic.

The Sitewide Forums are open to the entire CCL community to create, comment on, and view online discussions.  Posts and comments should address the subject or focus of the selected forum. 

Note: Categories can only be created by community administrators.

Guidelines for posting: (also see general Community Guidelines)

• Don’t see your question or topic? Post it.
  • Be thoughtful, considerate (nonpartisan) and complete. The more information you supply, the better the better and more engaging the conversation will be. 
  • Feel like cursing? Please don’t.
  • Ask yourself, “Would my topic post reveal sensitive or confidential information?” If so, please don't post!

Flag/report any offending comments, and then move on. In the rare instance of a comment containing a potentially credible threat, escalate that immediately to CCL.

If the Sitewide Forum has no categories, select the "Add Topic" button at the top of topics window. 

If the forum has categories, when you click on "Add Topic," a dropdown list of the categories appears. Select the desired category and then "Add Topic."
In either case this brings up a box to enter both the topic subject and topic text.

If you have questions or wish to add comments on a posted forum topic, open the post and click the blue “Add Reply” button at top. You can also click on the “Reply” link at the bottom of the original topic posting.

This opens a text box. Add your reply. You can also add documents by dragging a file into the text box. Click “Post” at the bottom of the reply window This will add your reply to other replies (if there are any), sorted by oldest on top. 

If, however, you want to reply directly to someone else’s reply, click on the “Reply” link at the bottom of their reply. 

When replying to a topic post or a topic reply it may be helpful to quote the original text, or the part that your reply is referring to. To quote a topic or reply, click on the "Quote" link at bottom of post. 

When you do this the full text of either the post or reply will be pulled into a reply text box. If desired, you can remove parts of the quoted text in order to get the portion you are interested in quoting.

You can subscribe to notifications of new postings from any of the Sitewide Forums or forum categories. To subscribe, select the green “Subscribe” button at the top of the forum. Click on dropdown arrow to select frequency of notification.

If you are already subscribed, the button will display “Unsubscribe.”  Select it to unsubscribe or select the dropdown arrow to modify frequency of notification. 

Note: If you subscribe to a Sitewide Forum, such as "Media Relations" that has categories (such as "LTEs and Op-Eds"), you will also be subscribed to all the categories. If you wish to subscribe to only one or more of the categories, unsubscribe to the parent forum and subscribe individually to desired categories.

If you see a topic post or reply that interests you or that you like, you can click the “Like” icon at the bottom of the topic post or the reply. This lets the poster know that the topic was helpful. It also contributes to the topic’s popularity, which influences where it is listed in the "Popular" forum tab. There are also additional reactions available for members to use. Mouseover the "Like" icon to choose one of these options: Love, Clap, Celebrate, Insightful, or Interesting.

CCL Community Guidelines

• Discuss, ask and share
  • Be respectful
  • Respect confidentiality
  • Protect privacy

More guidelines

CCL Blog Policy Area Categories