Over 3.4 million homes have used IRA tax credits

We got a really useful update on the IRA tax credits for home electrification & efficiency from the Treasury Department, via E&E News. Over 3.4 million households received $8 billion in tax credits last year for making energy and efficiency upgrades.

“Those significant numbers show that these credits are more popular than initially projected,” said Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo in a call with reporters.

750,000 homes took advantage of the 30% tax credit to install rooftop solar panels. One small disappointment is that fewer than 300,000 households got a tax credit for heat pumps, which was roughly equivalent to the number of households that used the tax credit to install insulated exterior doors.

A Treasury official said yesterday that, while the lack of heat pump uptake was surprising, the department anticipated that number to rise over time.

Hopefully that's right! One interesting factoid is that nearly half of all households claiming these tax credits had incomes of less than $100,000, so it's good to see lower and middle-income households taking advantage of the tax credits even before the upfront rebates become available 🤓

3 Replies

Heatmap has some more information (and charts!). Here you can see just how much more popular the IRA solar panel tax credit was than the others:

0fcbffaa6c586573f0e380a7e42a63df-huge-th

The IRA also includes tax credits for efficient natural gas space and water heaters, and those were used a bit more often than the heat pump equivalents, which is unfortunate! Heat pump water heaters especially need more deployment.

c3ee018e53505e35ea104b2e87fda452-huge-lo
Joanne Leovy
389 Posts

@Dana Nuccitelli it’s great that members of both parties seem to understand that their constituents are benefiting from these tax credits. Also reported in Heatwave—Rep. Garbarino and 18 House Republicans sent a letter to Speaker Johnson asking him not to eliminate the credits.

Jay Bassett
167 Posts

@Dana Nuccitelli

I am one of the 750K people who installed solar in 2023 (helped organize a solarize campaign in 2023 as a CCL chapter supported community activity). I will be applying for another tax credit in 2024 for an energy efficiency upgrade in 2024. I split my efficiency projects and have a 2nd upgrade planned for 2025 to maximize tax benefits. I also replaced my used Honda Fit with a used (2 year) Chevy Bolt for a really good price and under 15K miles (from what my research indicated was the most efficient EV one can find in the market). May be eligible for $4K tax credit but not sure. My challenge next year is best managing which tax credits I do claim. I still have an unclaimed residual from solar and battery from 2023 but should not be an issue in fully using in 2024. Wait and see if eligible for an State “partial” state rebates that may be available in 2025 - but wait and see. One note though – heat pump prices have (i believe temporarily) are significantly up for a number of reasons (neighbor recently spent $10K in Ga for replacing one zone) though I am optimistic pricing will come down as supply ramps up and more traditional HVAC installers see the opportunities and enters this space (competition). As part of this effort, i have done and will continue to host open houses as part of community driven efforts (through orgs I am active in locally) that has also opened opportunities to engage in ongoing dialogue with my county and state elected officials on supportive policy positions as well as my electrical coop (my electrical utility) board and board chair which is not keen on and remains an obstacle for distributed energy resource integration. Hoping to make inroads here as they are not for the most part regulated and generally non-responsive to its owners. Makes the State investor owned utility monopoly look good in comparison. Onwards and upwards and really appreciate CCL's electrification and efficiency policy pillar as a way to for me to personally activate personally and as part of community driven engagement (that my CCL chapter supports) that does help when we meet with our federal representatives and senator on CCL national priorities.

Forum help

Select a question below

CCL Community's Sitewide Forums are an easy and exciting way to interact with other members on CCL Community.  The Sitewide Forums are focused on subjects and areas of general interest to members.  Each forum consists of topics that members have posted, along with replies from other members. Some forums are divided into categories to group similar topics together. 

Any members can post a topic or reply to a topic.

The Sitewide Forums are open to the entire CCL community to create, comment on, and view online discussions.  Posts and comments should address the subject or focus of the selected forum. 

Note: Categories can only be created by community administrators.

Guidelines for posting: (also see general Community Guidelines)

• Don’t see your question or topic? Post it.
  • Be thoughtful, considerate (nonpartisan) and complete. The more information you supply, the better the better and more engaging the conversation will be. 
  • Feel like cursing? Please don’t.
  • Ask yourself, “Would my topic post reveal sensitive or confidential information?” If so, please don't post!

Flag/report any offending comments, and then move on. In the rare instance of a comment containing a potentially credible threat, escalate that immediately to CCL.

If the Sitewide Forum has no categories, select the "Add Topic" button at the top of topics window. 

If the forum has categories, when you click on "Add Topic," a dropdown list of the categories appears. Select the desired category and then "Add Topic."
In either case this brings up a box to enter both the topic subject and topic text.

If you have questions or wish to add comments on a posted forum topic, open the post and click the blue “Add Reply” button at top. You can also click on the “Reply” link at the bottom of the original topic posting.

This opens a text box. Add your reply. You can also add documents by dragging a file into the text box. Click “Post” at the bottom of the reply window This will add your reply to other replies (if there are any), sorted by oldest on top. 

If, however, you want to reply directly to someone else’s reply, click on the “Reply” link at the bottom of their reply. 

When replying to a topic post or a topic reply it may be helpful to quote the original text, or the part that your reply is referring to. To quote a topic or reply, click on the "Quote" link at bottom of post. 

When you do this the full text of either the post or reply will be pulled into a reply text box. If desired, you can remove parts of the quoted text in order to get the portion you are interested in quoting.

You can subscribe to notifications of new postings from any of the Sitewide Forums or forum categories. To subscribe, select the green “Subscribe” button at the top of the forum. Click on dropdown arrow to select frequency of notification.

If you are already subscribed, the button will display “Unsubscribe.”  Select it to unsubscribe or select the dropdown arrow to modify frequency of notification. 

Note: If you subscribe to a Sitewide Forum, such as "Media Relations" that has categories (such as "LTEs and Op-Eds"), you will also be subscribed to all the categories. If you wish to subscribe to only one or more of the categories, unsubscribe to the parent forum and subscribe individually to desired categories.

If you see a topic post or reply that interests you or that you like, you can click the “Like” icon at the bottom of the topic post or the reply. This lets the poster know that the topic was helpful. It also contributes to the topic’s popularity, which influences where it is listed in the "Popular" forum tab. There are also additional reactions available for members to use. Mouseover the "Like" icon to choose one of these options: Love, Clap, Celebrate, Insightful, or Interesting.

CCL Community Guidelines

• Discuss, ask and share
  • Be respectful
  • Respect confidentiality
  • Protect privacy

More guidelines

CCL Blog Policy Area Categories