‘Free Solo’ Rock Climber Alex Honnold Endorses

Average Rating:

33bed2fd485d083241436719bb8e25a3-huge-al

Recently, rock climber Alex Honnold, who scaled Yosemite’s El Capitan in the Oscar-winning documentary “Free Solo,” publicly endorsed the Energy Innovation Act. The Outdoor Industry Action Team helped this endorsement come about. Bill Barron, who co-leads the team with Matt Tucker, says, “It is a great story of teamwork!” Here’s Bill's story of how it happened:

In November 2018, Steven Zhang from Mercer Island, WA, (who had joined CCL that month) reached out to me as the Outdoor Industry Action Team guy on Community and said he had a friend, Jason Curtis from Alpine, CA, who knew Alex Honnold really well. Steven introduced me to Jason. I suggested the video idea to Jason and Alex via email, referencing the endorsement videos by Angel Collinson and the US XC Ski team. Alex was game.

Jason worked with Alex to get the raw footage, and then CCL’s marketing team singled out the best talking points from CCL's perspective. Matt Tucker (now my co-lead for the Outdoor Industry Action Team) had been working with a film editor, Mike Hatchett, on another project. Matt hired Mike on his own dime, as a donation to CCL, to create the finished project.

Watch Alex Honnold’s endorsement video on CCL’s Facebook, TwitterInstagram, and CCL's YouTube Testimonial Playlist.

Posted by Flannery Winchester on May 1, 2019 12:30 PM America/Los_Angeles

Comments

Share this

Share:

Recent Posts

What's a release? Simply put, a release is a package of software updates consisting of new features and bug fixes that are ready to deploy. On CCL Community, we'll release updates every other Monday. New features Send to All option when creating an email list. This is BIG . The second-most popular feature request was the following: "As a group leader, I ... more
Posted by Richard Bradley on Community Bulletin Jul 15, 2019 4:39 PM PDT
Three new members of Congress have signed on to cosponsor the Energy Innovation Act: Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA), Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-NJ), and Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (D-MD). Rep. Bass is a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, one of the three committees the bill has been referred to. She’s not alone in her support—23% of Foreign Affairs ... more
Posted by Flannery Winchester on Community Bulletin Jul 10, 2019 1:04 PM PDT
At the U.S. Conference of Mayors’ annual meeting in Honolulu, hundreds of U.S. mayors passed a resolution in support of carbon pricing.   “Be it resolved that the United States Conference of Mayors strongly urges the United States Congress to pass legislation that imposes a price on carbon emissions,” the resolution stated. The resolution pointed ... more
Posted by Flannery Winchester on Community Bulletin Jul 9, 2019 3:08 PM PDT
By Jamie DeMarco Oregon appeared on the verge of passing carbon pricing legislation that would have reduced their economy wide emissions 80% by 2050. However, some state senators walked out, denying the state senate quorum. The Oregon legislative session ended on Sunday, and the missing senators succeeded in keeping the bill from passing.  CCL ... more
Posted by Steve Valk on Community Bulletin Jul 3, 2019 10:58 AM PDT