Question About Resilience Tactics
Sam Cuchens
15 Posts

I am curious how all of you in the CCL, volunteers as well as those in higher-up positions channel resilience. How do you come to terms with your own limitations of what you can and cannot do without falling into complacency? What activities do you all do in your off-time to help yourselves rest, in physical, emotional, and mental terms? And how do you go about dealing with moments of grief and anxiety related to climate work? 

Forgive me if this was all asked before, I am just simply curious in the hopes that the answers will help soothe my nerves in the coming years. 

3 Replies

@Sam Cuchens

Hello Sam!

I would love to show some of the ways I handle my climate resilience by first tackling your question about how I handle my limitations. Simply put, I like to be aware of what I can and cannot control. Although I am not perfect at it, I like to ask myself: “Can I easily influence the outcome?”. If the answer is yes, then I can work step by step to produce a goal related to that outcome. If the answer is no, or it's very hard to personally influence, I like to step back and think of what I can control about this “intangible” thing. Part of resilience for me is knowing how to take a breath and realize I am one person. Then I focus on what I can control by writing it out on paper. Even if the outcome that is desired does not happen, you are still able to control the things that you contribute, which is what matters most. I also think doing this avoids complacency because writing it out makes me focus on the things I can control optimistically, which further encourages me more.

A lot about resilience is about finding what works for you most. I love music and use it daily to help me stay relaxed and focused. I highly recommend allowing yourself space when doing climate work, and allotting times of the day or week when you step away from climate work. This method introduced by Tamara Staton, CCL's Resilience and Education Coordinator, has proven beneficial to me. This not only prevents you from burning out, but it also gives you the ability to step away from the stress of fighting climate change, so you are refreshed and encouraged when it comes time to go back to work. You can hear all about it in CCL's podcast that came out last month: Episode 92: There’s Something Funny about Climate Change

Handling grief and anxiety is most important to me when trying to build my climate resilience. What helped me the most was when I was told that it is a good thing that you have these feelings, not because the feelings themselves are good, but rather because it shows that you care, and are passionate about helping save the planet. AKA if everyone was worried, climate solutions would probably be reached faster. Another way I found ways of navigating feelings of eco-grief is by utilizing the Five Steps to Personal Climate Resilience - CCL Community (citizensclimate.org). This training is probably the most important training relating to resilience, try it out and let me know what you think!

I realize that was a ton of information, so let me know if you have any questions. There are also a ton of resilience resources on the Resilience Hub if you have not checked that out already.

Talk to you soon,

Simon Stratton

Sam Cuchens
15 Posts

@Simon Stratton Thank you, I have already done some training in regards to resilience and I plan to do even more of it as it has helped to shed some of my fears and concerns about my morality as a person. I have also joined the Resilience group and I look forward to whatever events they'll host. I wanted to make this post just to hear from others like you in the hopes that I, or others reading it, can learn something new about climate resilience. I love what you said about my limitations question, because while I agree with activists like Greta Thunberg that you being one person should not stop you from making change, I do agree that there are some limitations to what we can and cannot do as human beings and writing down and focusing on what you ARE going to do is pretty helpful and clears your mind of doubt. 

I said before in my introduction to the community that I found this place thanks to Kathryn Kellog's zero-waste blog, and she has a great article about ways to deal with eco anxiety that I encourage all of you to read: 

Again, as I've stated previously in my introduction, it's good to be here and I appreciate it.

@Sam Cuchens

That is amazing to hear, and I greatly appreciate the link to the article. It is cool we are on the same page about the limitations. I recently had a conversation with someone where we were discussing the complexity of civic duty and limitations, and it's funny the same topic just got brought up again. I think it is a very honorable thing to reduce personal emissions, even if there is someone else who is emitting more- it shows that you care and want to make a difference. 

Forum help

Select a question below

CCL Community's Sitewide Forums are an easy and exciting way to interact with other members on CCL Community.  The Sitewide Forums are focused on subjects and areas of general interest to members.  Each forum consists of topics that members have posted, along with replies from other members. Some forums are divided into categories to group similar topics together. 

Any members can post a topic or reply to a topic.

The Sitewide Forums are open to the entire CCL community to create, comment on, and view online discussions.  Posts and comments should address the subject or focus of the selected forum. 

Note: Categories can only be created by community administrators.

Guidelines for posting: (also see general Community Guidelines)

• Don’t see your question or topic? Post it.
  • Be thoughtful, considerate (nonpartisan) and complete. The more information you supply, the better the better and more engaging the conversation will be. 
  • Feel like cursing? Please don’t.
  • Ask yourself, “Would my topic post reveal sensitive or confidential information?” If so, please don't post!

Flag/report any offending comments, and then move on. In the rare instance of a comment containing a potentially credible threat, escalate that immediately to CCL.

If the Sitewide Forum has no categories, select the "Add Topic" button at the top of topics window. 

If the forum has categories, when you click on "Add Topic," a dropdown list of the categories appears. Select the desired category and then "Add Topic."
In either case this brings up a box to enter both the topic subject and topic text.

If you have questions or wish to add comments on a posted forum topic, open the post and click the blue “Add Reply” button at top. You can also click on the “Reply” link at the bottom of the original topic posting.

This opens a text box. Add your reply. You can also add documents by dragging a file into the text box. Click “Post” at the bottom of the reply window This will add your reply to other replies (if there are any), sorted by oldest on top. 

If, however, you want to reply directly to someone else’s reply, click on the “Reply” link at the bottom of their reply. 

When replying to a topic post or a topic reply it may be helpful to quote the original text, or the part that your reply is referring to. To quote a topic or reply, click on the "Quote" link at bottom of post. 

When you do this the full text of either the post or reply will be pulled into a reply text box. If desired, you can remove parts of the quoted text in order to get the portion you are interested in quoting.

You can subscribe to notifications of new postings from any of the Sitewide Forums or forum categories. To subscribe, select the green “Subscribe” button at the top of the forum. Click on dropdown arrow to select frequency of notification.

If you are already subscribed, the button will display “Unsubscribe.”  Select it to unsubscribe or select the dropdown arrow to modify frequency of notification. 

Note: If you subscribe to a Sitewide Forum, such as "Media Relations" that has categories (such as "LTEs and Op-Eds"), you will also be subscribed to all the categories. If you wish to subscribe to only one or more of the categories, unsubscribe to the parent forum and subscribe individually to desired categories.

If you see a topic post or reply that interests you or that you like, you can click the “Like” icon at the bottom of the topic post or the reply. This lets the poster know that the topic was helpful. It also contributes to the topic’s popularity, which influences where it is listed in the "Popular" forum tab. There are also additional reactions available for members to use. Mouseover the "Like" icon to choose one of these options: Love, Clap, Celebrate, Insightful, or Interesting.

CCL Community Guidelines

• Discuss, ask and share
  • Be respectful
  • Respect confidentiality
  • Protect privacy

More guidelines

CCL Blog Policy Area Categories