Primary Ask (Leave-Behind)
When you hold a lobby meeting, whether with an aide or with the member of Congress, they want to know what we want from them. Our Primary Ask Leave-behind sheet lets them know what we want from Congress.
For your 2021 June Lobby Week, there is a list below of five different primary asks depending on whether your meeting is with a Republican/Democrat and in Senate or the House (cosponsor or non-cosponsor).
- Senate Republicans: Help America Compete: Price Carbon
- House Republicans: Help America Compete: Price Carbon
- Senate Democrats: Be Ambitious: Cosponsor a Carbon Price
- House Democrats (non-cosponsors): Support the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act
- House Democrats (cosponsors): Speak Publicly About Your Support for H.R.2307
Along with the primary ask, there are three different companion documents included below as well - one highlighting The U.S. si one of two Developed Economies without a carbon price, one highlighting "Carbon Pricing Is Popular" for Democratic offices, and one highlighting Business Support For Carbon Pricing for Republican offices.
Send the corresponding handout and companion document to your Member of Congress or staffer ahead of your lobby meeting. It is also recommended that you use this ask to frame your conversation with them. To download your PDF resource click on the button(s) below.
The primary ask should be made in every meeting, but for June your ask will differ if your member is in the House or Senate and a Republican or Democrat. For full instructions for how to use these documents see the Lobby Training on Making Primary and Supporting Asks.