The collection of resilience resources below are designed to help you learn more about and build personal resilience as a climate advocate.
Resilience is all about recognizing challenges - the pain, the ache, the overwhelm - and doing whatever it takes to work our way through them and grow stronger. Doing this as climate advocates helps us stay the course, through the highs and the lows, and finish this climate mitigation marathon. We do our best to share resources here that are aligned with CCL’s values, particularly those of optimism, relationships, focus, and founded in science (integrity). Check back often for updates and additional resources.
For general resilience workshops, practices, trainings and resources mostly within CCL:
- CCL Resilience Hub: cclusa.org/resilience
Personal Resilience-building Strategies
Articles & Blog Posts:
- A neuroscientist shares the 6 exercises she does every day to build resilience and mental strength CNBC, Aug, 21, 2021
- *Climate Advocates: Ten Tips for Self Care | Climate for Health Bruce Bekkar, MD
- If you can't take in any more, there's a reason The Corners, by Nadia Bolz-weber
- How to Develop Your Resilience Wiki-how.
- Building resilience as climate volunteers | Citizens' Climate Lobby Blog
- Citizens’ Climate Radio Episodes with a Specific Focus on Personal Resilience:
- “What to Do About Eco-anxiety” Ten Percent Happier Podcast Episode with Jay Michaelson
- "Rethinking Growth and Uncovering Psychological Barriers" Hey Change Podcast Episode with Per Espen Stoknes
- How to Turn Climate Anxiety into Action Video Renee Lertzman TedTalk
CCL Webinar Recordings (see The Resilience Hub for online trainings):
- Skillful Climate Conversations: Opening Hearts and Minds with Evidence-Based Communication Techniques - Tamara Staton & John Sabin, November Conference 2021
- Envision Climate Success and Your Next Steps - Peterson Toscano, December Conference 2020
Training Specific Collections and Resources:
- *Roadmap to Resilience (as referenced in Deepening Resilient Leadership & Skillful Climate Conversations)
- *Resilience and Motivational Interviewing Resources (Skillful Climate Conversations)
Online Courses outside of CCL:
- Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills Free, offered by Coursera in conjunction with the University of Pennsylvania.
- The Science of Well-Being Free, offered through Coursera in conjunction with Yale
General Resource Collections:
- Climate Change and Mental Health Resources by the CCL DC Chapter
- You are Not Alone: Climate Emergency Resources by the Energy Mix
- Resources for Working with Climate Emotions by GenDred and All You Can Save Project
Mindfulness / Meditation / Education Apps:
Organizations / Websites:
Helping Others Build Personal Resilience
*Also listed on the CCL Resilience Hub
Revised on: Nov 15, 2021