Call Congress Day - June 5th
Calling your Senators and Representative helps create the political will needed to solve global warming by demonstrating constituent concern. Call your members of Congress on Wednesday, June 5th to amplify our voices and help move Congress closer to enacting the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Action. If you can’t get through on June 5th, try leaving a message in the evening or call again on Thursday. Your calls will support over 1,400 of your fellow CCL volunteers who are meeting with members of Congress in D.C. on June 11th to ask them to cosponsor the Energy Innovation Act. Below you will find resources for engaging lots of people in our call day and generating a crazy number of calls
On June 5th, use CCL’s online calling tool cclusa.org/call to:
- Get the phone numbers for your members of Congress
- See and use a simple script for House members and Senators
- Report your calls - be sure to click the DONE CALLING button so that your calls are reported and you don’t need to file a field report.
If you call your member of Congress directly - not using CCL’s online calling tool, be sure to:
- Start by saying that you are a constituent and a voter and climate is your highest priority issue
- If your Representative is a bill co-sponsor then express appreciation, otherwise, ask your Representative to “cosponsor” the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, H.R. 763.
- When you call your two Senators, ask them to “cosponsor” the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act when it is reintroduced in the Senate.
- Report your calls in a field report so that we know how many calls were made
Resources for spreading the word about Call Congress Day
Graphics to download or share online:
- Tweet Congress .png image for Twitter (and Facebook dimensions)
- Call Congress .png image for Facebook (and Twitter dimensions)
Call-in Day flyers (two-sided with script):
Say your ‘Going’, and share our Call Congress Day event on Facebook at cclusa.org/call-congress-fb
Email templates for spreading the word
On June 5th, I’m going to call my U.S. Senators and Representative to ask them to cosponsor the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act. That’s because a few days later members of our local CCL group, along with twelve hundred of our fellow Citizens’ Climate Lobby volunteers, will be in D.C. to lobby for all of us, and our phone calls will help underscore that we want strong legislation. Our chapter’s goal is [____] calls. Please help us reach that number.
Please join me in calling Congress on June 5th. Put the date in your calendar and use this website http://cclusa.org/call to get the script, phone numbers and to log your calls. Please also tell our group that you’ve done this by [posting on Facebook, emailing, whatever your system is] so we can track our progress. Thank you so much.
Thank you for helping CCL’s lobby day have the biggest possible impact. Feel free to share this email with other people.
Email to send the night before
Dear CCL volunteers and friends,
Can you take five minutes to call your members of Congress? Tomorrow/today is the day I’m calling my U.S. Senators and Representative to ask them to cosponsor the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act.
That’s because on Tuesday members of our local CCL group, along with over a thousand of our fellow Citizens’ Climate Lobby volunteers, will be in D.C. to lobby for all of us, and our phone calls will help underscore that we want strong legislation.
Our chapter’s goal is ____ calls. Won’t you please help us reach that by calling, too?
It will take just a few minutes to make each call. You can get the script and phone numbers using this online calling tool: cclusa.org/call
Please let me know when you’ve done it so we can track our progress toward reaching our goal.
[Add any directions for reporting the calls.]
Thank you so much! It’s up to us to persuade Congress to take action!
Tips for generating more calls during Call-in Campaigns
Here are some tips from across the country on how to generate more calls for our Call-in Day campaign.
- Ask who called on our last Call Congress Day and personally ask those people to recruit and call alongside at least one additional caller and let you know how many callers they recruited.
- Consider how to best leverage the volunteers in your district(s) and start asking who would be interested in putting your local phone or text tree together. Involving newer members and young adults has led to even greater success.
- Set a goal for how many people you will get to make calls and make a list of who they are. These are the people you will personally follow-up with on the day of the call-in to remind them to call. They are the most likely people to actually call because they want to support you.
- Enlist local ally organizations to activate their volunteers. 350, Indivisible, LCV, LWV, etc.
One week before:
- Share our Facebook event, cclusa.org/call-congress-fb, click that you are ‘going”, and “invite friends.” Use Facebook messenger to ask people to call.
- Post the action alert on your chapter’s website and Facebook page.
- Contact the local organizations that you work with and the local chapters of national organizations, asking them to share the action alert with their members.
- Send an email a week ahead to your group list or contacts telling them why you are going to call Congress, and asking them to put it in their calendar. Make allowances for time zone differences between Washington, D.C. and where you live, so you call before 4:30 p.m. Eastern.
- Include and promote the link to our online calling tool so they can easily report their phone call. Alternatively, you could add everybody to the event on your calendar.
- Have your team call your chapter members to follow up on your email and remind them to call and invite their network to call.
Day before and on Call-in day:
- Send an email the day before alerting everybody again with the link.
On Call Congress Day, make your calls early in the day and then text or call the people on your target list to tell them how good it felt and how easy it was to use our online calling tool cclusa.org/call
Personalize the sample script. The more personal your call is, the better!
I am a constituent and a voter, and climate change is a high priority issue for me. I'm excited that the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2019, H.R. 763, has been reintroduced in the US House of Representatives. When enacted, this bipartisan legislation will lead to a healthy, stable, and prosperous America.
Last sentence for House members who have cosponsored the bill:
I am calling to thank you for co-sponsoring this important bipartisan legislation and to request that you ask one of your colleagues to join you as a cosponsor.
Last sentence for House members who have not cosponsored the bill:
I'm calling today to ask you to co-sponsor this important bipartisan legislation.
Last sentence for Senators:
I'm calling today to ask you to co-sponsor this important legislation when it is reintroduced in the Senate.