Grasstops Engagement Tracker Tutorial

No Image Description
Description
This training walks through how to use the Grasstops Engagement Tracker - CCL’s ongoing important grasstops outreach program updates - including how to search for existing Influencers, create new entries, and see a list of endorsers in your district. 
Breadcrumb
/topics/engaging-influencers
TOC and Guide Section

Five Main Tasks

On the "Watch" Tab, Todd Elvins, CCL’s Action Coordinator, walks through how to perform five main tasks with the Grasstops Engagement Tracker:

• Getting to the Grasstops Engagement Tracker (GET) in New Community
  • Seeing if an Influencer is in the Tracker
  • How to enter a new Influencer in the Tracker
  • Seeing a list of potential endorsements from businesses
  • How to see a list of endorsements from my district 
How to Access the Grasstops Engagement Tracker
  1. Let’s start by looking at two ways to find the Tracker on new Community. One way is from the Tools menu on your Community Dashboard. The other way is by typing in cclusa.org/GET
  2. The "Welcome" page features two videos that show how to use the GET Tracker. A video tutorial and a help video.  Please be aware that we are in the process of updating the endorsement videos and other documentation, so you may occasionally see some info that still refers to Carbon Fee & Dividend (CFD) endorsements, while CCL's focus is now 100% on Energy Innovation Act endorsements.
Seeing if an influencer is in the Tracker
  1. If you are pursuing a bill endorsement from a prominent individual or organization, you should start by doing a search here on this basic search page to see if the influencer is already in the GET Tracker with another volunteer as the primary point of contact - or delegate. 
  2. Type in an example, (e.g. Janet Yellen), then click search, to see that she’s not in the Tracker.
How to enter a new Influencer in the Tracker
  1. If I’m engaging someone like Janet Yellen to secure a bill endorsement, and I don't see her in the search, click the “Add an influencer” button to add them.
  2. After I enter my prominent influencer, they will show up under the "My Endorsers" tab.
  3. You can also use the GET tracker as a contact management system to track your progress in securing the endorsement and add notes after each contact and meeting with your influencer(s).
  4. When your prominent influencer (let’s say Janet Yellen) submits her endorsement at the mobile-friendly self-service www.energyinnovationact.org website, the bill endorsement field in her record in the GET tracker will be updated automatically. These automatic updates are only occasional, but should be more frequent in the future. 
Seeing a list of potential endorsements from businesses
  1. If you'd like to see a list of Major Businesses in your district that could potentially provide endorsements that will impress Congress, click on the "MOC Connections" tab and pull down the "All Connections" Types menu to "Major Businesses in District." Same procedure for the other important categories including Donors, etc.  
How to see a list of endorsements from my district
If you are a liaison or a volunteer who wants to bring a list of bill endorsements from my district or state to your lobby meeting next week, use the filter capability of the GET Tracker.
  1. Step 1 is to go to "Adv Search" tab.
  2. Step 2 is to type in your district or state.
  3. Next, scroll to the right, and click the tiny down arrow called “Date signed” to sort the results by date. You can see here that there are six endorsements for the Energy Innovation Act some of which are from prominent influencers who signed CFD endorsements in the past.  
  4. To make a list of endorsements for the Energy Innovation Act, copy and paste these into your separate document by hand. Or you can go to the "My Chapter" tab, scroll to the bottom, and click on “export .csv”. 
  5. We’re planning a new reporting tool that will make it easier to get lists of bill endorsements to bring to lobby meetings. Stay tuned. 
  6. We’ve seen in this webinar, (1) how to find the GET tracker on New Community, (2) how to see if a prominent community leader is already in the GET tracker, (3) how to enter a new prominent community leader into the GET tracker, and (4) how to see and export a list of Energy Innovation Act endorsements for your district or state.  
Getting Help

If you have questions, you can post them on the sitewide endorsement forum, or send an email to endorse@citizensclimate.org.  Thanks for your important Grasstops work engaging influencers and securing endorsements for the Energy Innovation Act!

Length
Press play to start the video (7m 29s)
https://vimeo.com/album/5843574
Video Outline
To skip ahead to a specific section go to the time indicated in parenthesis.

Getting to the Grasstops Engagement Tracker in New Community 
(0:52)

Seeing if an Influencer is in the Tracker 
(2:15)

How to enter a new Influencer in the Tracker 
(2:55)

Seeing a list of potential endorsements from businesses 
(3:56)

How to see a list of endorsements from my district
(4:26)

Instructor(s)
Todd Elvins
Downloads
Discussion Topic
To Print
Instructions for printing this page on Community.
Category
Training
Topics
Grasstops Outreach
Format
Audio / Video
Training Resources
The resources above are specific to this training, see all resources associated with Grasstops Engagement.