Processing Constituent Letter Forms
Congratulations! Your team has just collected an impressive stack of constituent letter forms from your outreach event, but how can you maximize your hard work? Follow the recommendations below to process the letters and enhance your group's outreach and lobbying efforts.
Processing Constituent Letter Forms is part of the Group Administration series.
TOC and Guide Section
Share in the work together
- Consider holding a work party or delegating some of the following tasks while providing support to make sure the job gets done.
- If you haven't already, part of your work together can be giving a personal call to the new prospects that opted into finding out more about CCL. Thank them for taking the time to write their insightful comments to their Congressmember, and invite them to your next CCL meeting or to join our informational session.
Sorting, updating, and copying
- If they didn't provide it, look up any individual's congressional district at: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative. Write the state and district (e.g. VA-11) in the lower right-hand corner to help with sorting. Discard any forms for which you can’t determine the district, as well as any that contain profanity or are otherwise inappropriate.
- For the people who checked the box to receive more info from CCL, enter their contact information into the database by going to your Chapter Roster and clicking on “Add member.” Follow the Using Your Chapter Roster training for more information.
- If you have the resources, feel free to make two copies of each completed constituent letter form while keeping them in order. Separate the copies by state. One copy of each goes to each senator.
- Sort the forms by congressional district and write down the totals for each district.
- Submit a field report for the outreach event as well as the total letters your group generated.
- Deliver or mail the letters and postcards to Congress. If more than 25 are collected for a single district, you can use the CCL Envoy program.
- You can also hold on to them to bring to a national conference where there will be a table for volunteers to drop off letters. Lobby day meeting leads can pick up letters for the office they are meeting with at the same table.
- Bask in the glow of a job well done! You deserve it!