Write Your Member Of Congress

No Image Description
Description
Research shows that, other than meeting with your member of Congress, personal letters or emails are the next best effective form of advocacy. We encourage you to generate as many letters to your member of Congress as possible each month.
Breadcrumb
/topics/contacting-congress
TOC and Guide Section

Deciding on the format

CCL encourages handwritten letters because of the relationship building potential. Think about the last time you got a handwritten letter from someone. It really makes an impact, especially in a time when we’re buried in email. 

That said, the Congressional Management Foundation highlights that as long as they’re personalized, email and letters are nearly equally effective. In fact, a clear majority (90%) of Congressional office respondents to one of Congressional Management Foundation’s surveys agreed that fewer than 100 personalized emails on a given issue is enough to get their office to consider taking the requested action.  

The most effective communication is the one you actually send, so if doing it by email will get you to send more letters, either way helps generate political will for climate action. 

Using CCL’s online email tools

If you decide to email Congress, use our online tool to send your email. Not only does it simplify the process, but it also helps us track how many emails your member of Congress is receiving.

Write Congress About The Energy Innovation Act

Ask Your Rep To Join The Climate Solutions Caucus or Thank Your Rep For Joining The Caucus

Making your letter personal
  • Say a little about yourself.
  • Acknowledge your member of Congress for something they did or said recently.
  • Explain why climate change is a big concern to you.
  • Ask them to do something, such as:
    • Support the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act (refer to HR 763)
    • Join the Climate Solutions Caucus
    • Work together on solutions
  • Ask for a reply.
Additional tips

You can include talking points on the bill, but make it your own. Here are a few other tips:

• Be personal, polite and factual.
  • Be sure to use the appropriate title every time you communicate. On the envelope: “The Honorable [Full Name].” In the salutation: “Dear Representative/Senator [Last Name],”
  • Write about only one issue.
  • Be short and concise.
  • If emailing, don’t include others on the email chain or include attachments 
  • If your handwriting is illegible, type your letter.
  • Include your address so they know you are a constituent.
  • Consider hosting a letter writing party for other group members (see more ideas for what's worked for other groups here)
Sample Letter

Feel free to use any part of the outline below and share your sample letters here in the forums!

Dear Congresswoman XXXXX,

Since my first child was born in 2004, I’ve fallen in love with Virginia’s beaches all over again. It’s wonderful to be able to share them with my family, and I’m grateful for your consistent support for protecting our priceless coast.

In the decades to come, however, rising sea levels will increasingly threaten the beaches and shorelines that are so important to all Virginians. The recent king tides that have flooded so many homes in Hampton Roads are an early sign of a trend that will place communities, livelihoods, and crucial habitats at risk.

I’m writing now to ask that you sign on to support the recently reintroduced Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act (H.R. 763).   This effective legislation will help reduce America’s carbon pollution by 40% within 12 years and bring climate change under control while unleashing American technology innovation and ingenuity.

To further this effort, thank you for also considering joining the Climate Solutions Caucus, a bipartisan group in the House dedicated to finding solutions acceptable to both sides of the political aisle. The addition of your voice would send a powerful signal that climate change is an issue that affects us all—and will demand all our efforts to solve.

Thank you very much for your attention; I would welcome a reply at your convenience.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

Address

Finding the address

Use the Congressional Directory to find the mailing address for your member of Congress. Or, use the following generic physical address:

Rep. NAME HERE

U.S. House of Representatives

Washington, DC 20515

Sen. NAME HERE

U.S. Senate

Washington, DC 20510

Share about your effort!
Go Deeper
Want to build your relationship with your Member of Congress even further? Check out the Working With Congress topic series.
Discussion Topic
To Print
Instructions for printing this page on Community.
Category
Training
Topics
Lobbying Congress
File Type
PDF (.pdf)