Citizens’ Climate is adapting to COVID-19. Some resources on this site may need adjusting to current circumstances. More Info.

Postcards To The President

No Image Description
Description
We know President Biden is planning to announce some climate action on Earth Day. So for our April action we are going to mail physical postcards to President Biden to load up the White House mail room with postcards to demonstrate that carbon pricing is broadly popular, and we’d like to see a carbon price with a dividend included in his climate package. When everyone else is zigging, we want to be nimble and zag. Many voters are contacting President Biden about lots of issues through social media, emails and phone calls. That’s why we are going back to our CCL roots to snail mail physical postcards to an elected official.  

Thanks to the MyPostcard App, we can send 3,000 FREE postcards to President Biden. 
Breadcrumb
/topics/contacting-congress
TOC and Guide Section

Video walkthrough
Instructions to download the MyPostcard App
  1. Let’s get started by downloading the MyPostcard app on your smartphone.
    1. Note: There is a web interface you can use to send the postcard, but the phone app is much easier to use, so that is what these steps and the video walkthrough will help you do.
    2. Open a web browser (Chrome, Safari or Firefox) on your smartphone and type in the URL www.cclusa.org/postcard
    3. Tap the “DOWNLOAD & CLAIM” button. 
    4. When the app installation is complete, tap “Open.” 
    5. To access the $3 credit, you must create an account
      1. Tap on the gray profile icon on the top left. 
      2. Then tap LOGIN/REGISTER (if you don’t want to register, you can go to mypostcard.com and pay $3/card to send postcards cards without an account).
      3. Now, here you have a few choices for how you want to sign up. The easiest choice is to tap the pink button “Continue with Email.” 
        1. You can choose your Facebook account if you’re already logged in on your phone on Facebook. You can also choose Apple with your Apple ID or Google, but it makes things more complicated!
      4. Input your email address and choose a password.
      5. Input your name and tap the pink arrow.
      6. Then you will see “Do you have a friend-code?” to which you should type CCL if it is not auto-populated.
      7. Then tap the pink “Register Now” button and then tap the green $3 credit at the bottom of your screen.
  2. Verify your email address. Before you can move on, you need to go to your email and verify your email address with MyPostcard by clicking the link they send to you. The subject line will be “Welcome” and it will be from MyPostcard.
    1. It’s best if you can also do this on your smartphone through your email app. 
    2. Note: You will probably see this in one of your Updates or Promotions tabs if you have a Gmail account.
  3. Once your account is created and you have verified your email address, open the app back up. You will need to login by clicking on the gray profile circle in the top left and then tap “login,” which is at the very bottom of the screen. Enter your email and password.
    1. You’ll see from your new account that the MyPostcard $3 credit is already applied since you used our URL above.
    2. If you were already logged in automatically, please LOG OUT and then log back in to see your $3 credit applied. Logging out can be difficult to find so here’s how to do that:
      1. Tap the profile circle in the upper left corner
      2. Tap your name, then it makes your profile image bigger and you might see how many credits you have. 
      3. Tap your name once again. Now you will be in the “Account Settings” and see under the three buttons (“Save Changes,” “Change Password,”  & “Cancel”) the words “Log out” in red. Tap that to log out and then you can log back in.
  4. Now tap the “Home” button on the bottom left. Then tap the big photo in the center that says “Postcard.”
  5. From here, decide what style you want to send. It’s fastest to choose “Classic” and tap “select,” but if you want to make a collage with multiple photos, you can choose one of the other layouts.
  6. Now tap the blue plus sign. A pop up will ask you for permission to access your photos. Grant permission.
  7. Scroll through until you see the photo you want to put on the postcard, then tap “continue.”
  8. You can rotate the orientation of the postcard here if you need to by tapping rotate on the right.
  9. Now tap “Write” on the bottom menu bar. This is the back of the postcard. 
  10. First, tap “Address” and we will type in the address to President Biden. Tap Add New Recipient. 
    1. Input the address - make sure you select the enter address manually option: 
      • President Joe Biden
      • The White House
      • 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
      • Washington, D.C. 20500
    2. and then tap “Save Recipient.”
    3. Confirm that the address is correct and tap “Continue.”
  11. Next click the pink “Selected Recipient (1)” on the bottom of the screen.
  12. Now we are going to type our message to President Biden. Tap the big “T” for “Text” and then start typing! You can tap the “Fonts” button to change your font, text size or color. 
    1. Feel free to use your own phrasing (carbon tax, carbon fee, carbon price) and highlight whichever policy benefits you're most excited about (emissions reductions, spurring business innovation, or any others). You might tie in the photo on the front of your postcard to talk about your inspiration behind climate action.
    2. Here’s a sample (but please personalize and make it your own!)
      • Dear President Biden,
      • This photo is of me and my dogs at the beach. We love walks on the beach on Long Island. Sea level rise is threatening our favorite beaches, our homes, and our communities. Please, as you move forward on a climate bill, include a carbon tax and dividend plan. Economists say it will reduce emissions the fastest and can get us to net zero by 2050. And imagine the innovation a carbon tax will unlock from our business communities! Carbon taxes are effective and fair if designed properly. Please include carbon pricing in your climate plans! 
      • Sincerely, 
      • YOUR NAME & ADDRESS
  13. Make sure that, at the bottom of your note, you include your full name and mailing address so they can verify you are a constituent.
  14. Tap the pink check mark when you are finished with your message. Double check that everything looks correct and good and then tap the pink arrow in the bottom right. Now you’ll see a sample of your finished piece.
  15. Let’s tap the “Preview” option to see what it looks like. Here we want to take a screenshot of the front and back of the postcard so that we can use this for social media!
    1. If you don’t know how to take a screenshot on your phone, go to this URL for help: www.cclusa.org/screenshothelp
  16. If you want, you can send a premium card since it’s only 50 cents extra and a postcard only costs $2.29. 
  17. When you’re ready, tap the pink arrow. It might take a moment and say “Transfer in progress.”
  18. When you get to the confirmation screen, you’ll see your total, and as long as it’s under $3, it’s free! Tap the green button on the bottom of your screen that says “Buy with Credits” then tap “Buy Now” on the next screen. 
  19. You know you sent it when you get a confetti screen that says Thank You!
Log your postcard
  1. Log your postcard action in the Action Tracker 
  2. We don’t yet have an option for contacting the President or Executive branch, so scroll down to under the five lobby actions and click “Log a generic action report” and then follow the prompts.
  3. Be sure to log your postcard as your own personal action. If you add yourself to someone else's postcard action, your postcard may not be counted. 
Share your postcard to social media

Post and log your postcard

1. Post the image and text you used for your postcard to your social media and tag @POTUS and @citizensclimate and use the hashtags: #GrassrootsClimate and #Postcards2President and #PriceOnCarbon. If you wait until Earth Day to share your postcard, include #EarthDay or #EarthMonth in your post.
Ask your friends and family to send a postcard too!

Increase your impact

Double your impact by helping a friend or family member to send a postcard too. Direct them here: www.cclusa.org/postcardhelp

FAQs
  • I created an account, but I can’t see my $3 credit. How do I fix that? 
    • 9 times out of 10, if you followed all of the instructions, you can solve this issue by logging out and logging back in. Logging out can be difficult to find so here’s how to do that:
      • Tap the profile circle in the upper left corner
      • Tap your name, then it makes your profile image bigger and you might see how many credits you have. 
      • Tap your name once again. Now you will be in the “Account Settings” and see under the three buttons (“Save Changes,” “Change Password,”  & “Cancel”) the words “Log out” in red. Tap that to log out and then you can log back in.
  • Can I mail my own physical postcard myself instead of using the MyPostcard App?
    • Absolutely! If you don’t have a smartphone or downloading Apps just isn’t your thing, feel free to mail your own postcard! Get a postcard, handwrite your message, put a stamp on it, address it to President Joe Biden (address above), and send through USPS!  We’ve partnered with MyPostcard to send a free photo postcard, but you can absolutely handwrite your own and encourage others to as well. Just make sure to Log your postcard action in the Action Tracker after you mail it (we don’t yet have an option for contacting the President or Executive branch, so scroll down to under the five lobby actions and click “Log a generic action report” and then follow the prompts).
  • I see that MyPostcard has a web interface too. Can I send a postcard through their website instead of my smartphone?
    • Yes! If you have a photo on your computer that you want to put on the front of a postcard and have printed and mailed to President Biden, you can use the web interface. It’s just not as user friendly as the smartphone app is. You should still be able to use this URL to get your free postcard. You need to Sign up via Email and the free credit should be applied to your account after you click the verification email that MyPostcard will send you. 
  • Can I share the free postcard links with family and friends?
    • Absolutely! Direct them here: www.cclusa.org/postcardhelp. We ask that your friends or family use the free postcard link to mail a postcard to President Biden asking him to include a carbon fee and dividend or similar carbon pricing policy in his climate change bill he announces later this year.
  • Can I send a postcard to my member of Congress too?
    • Sure! We just ask that you pay for sending any additional postcards so that we can use all our 3,000 free credits to mail to President Biden to grab his attention.
  • How long does it take the MyPostcard app to send my postcard in the mail?
    • MyPostcard mails postcards from New York and Colorado and usually sends them within 24 hours. It typically takes 3-5 business days from then to arrive. Once it gets to the White House, though, there is a screening process, and we are not sure how long that takes.
  • Can I still send a postcard after Earth Day?
    • Sure! We’d like the President to receive 3,000 postcards before Earth Day when he’s holding his climate summit, so send your postcard as early as you can. If that is after Earth Day, that is okay too. This campaign ends April 30th, though, so be sure to send your postcard before then to get your free MyPostcard $3 credit!
  • How should I share my postcard on social media?
    • Whichever platform you’re on (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.), we ask that you share your screenshots of the front and back of your postcards. Be sure to redact your contact information first. Make sure to tag @potus so the President sees it and @citizensclimate on Twitter and Instagram so that we can share your posts! Use the hashtags: #GrassrootsClimate and #Postcards2President. You can share your postcard when you send it early in the month or you can wait till #EarthDay and use that hashtag too. We are also seeing chapter accounts on social media sharing their chapter members’ postcards and love that! 
  • How should I log my postcard in the Action Tracker? 
    • After you mail your postcard, please make sure to use the Action Tracker on Community to log your action. We don’t yet have an option for contacting the President or Executive branch, so scroll down to under the five lobby action boxes and click “Log a generic action report” and then follow the prompts.
Length
Press play to start the video (9m 59s)
Video Outline
To skip ahead to a specific section go to the time indicated in parenthesis.

Background
(from beginning)

Getting started & logging in
(1:56)

Choosing your photo and style
(4:45)

Adding the address and message
(6:11)

Social media sharing
(8:13)

Instructor(s)
  • Ashley Hunt Martorano