Communication Exercises Directory

No Image Description
Description
Directory of CCL's Communication Exercises from archived CCL Monthly Action Sheets.
Have you completed this training?
Usage Instructions

You and your chapter may wish to get ready to talk to people at outreach events about a particular topic, bill, policy or other aspect of CCL. Below you will find many dozens of communication skills exercises that you can use to prepare for discussions on almost all CCL topics. Practicing is fun and makes you more of an authority on the topics. 

Communication Skills Exercises Directory  
Practice describing the benefits of the Energy Innovation Act
May 2023When you’re talking to people about CCL and they express interest in climate solutions, let them know there's a solution you're excited to see enacted—the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act—and ask if they’d like to hear about it. Let’s practice describing the Energy Innovation Act’s benefits.

Benefits of the Energy Innovation Act

Net zero by 2050. A strong, economy-wide price on carbon ​​is an effective and essential component to reduce America’s carbon pollution 50% by 2030, putting us on track to reach net zero by 2050.

Affordable clean energy. America leads the world with technology innovation. When government puts a price on carbon, it sends a signal through the economy. Businesses respond by becoming more energy efficient and developing new sources of clean, renewable energy. These innovations will not only lead to reduced greenhouse gas emissions, but also provide abundant, affordable, and reliable clean energy and drive us faster toward net zero carbon pollution.

Saves lives. A carbon price will save 4.5 million American lives over the next 50 years by restoring clean air across the country. It will have particular impact in communities of color, which have suffered the worst health impacts of burning fossil fuels. 

Puts money in your pocket. A carbon tax becomes affordable for ordinary Americans when the money collected from fossil fuel companies is given as a dividend, or “carbon cash back” payment, to every American to spend with no restrictions. This protects low-and-middle-income Americans who otherwise might not be able to afford the transition.

Additional Resources

Practice talking to a table visitor. Tell your story. Ask a question.

April 2023: Visitors to your Earth Day table will likely want to know what they can do to help with climate change. Take advantage of this opportunity to tell them about CCL and draw them into our work. Let’s practice sharing our own climate story with a table visitor and then asking them a question to increase their curiosity. 

1. Write down a brief outline of your CCL experience, including (a) how you felt about climate change before you found CCL, (b) how has CCL encouraged you to advocate for climate solutions, (c) how you see your contribution to CCL’s work. For example, “Before I found CCL, I felt hopeless. CCL has taught me how to advocate for climate solutions, and I’m encouraged we’re making progress with Congress.”
  2. Write down an open question that will help you engage the table visitor after you tell your story, such as, “what motivated you to come to this event today?”, or, “what actions have you taken to address climate change in the past?
  3. Be ready with a follow-up question such as, “would you like to learn some ways that you can help?”, or, “would you like to hear about the climate policies we urge Congress to enact?”
  4. Role-play with your partner, beginning with your own story and pivoting to an open question.    

Additional Resource

March 2023:
Practice describing the benefits of building electrification

When you’re tabling in April, you’ll get to chat and answer questions about CCL’s policy agenda. When a table visitor expresses interest in transitioning away from fossil fuels, ask if they’d like to hear about the benefits of building electrification and efficiency. Let’s practice. 

Talking points

Lower household energy bills

The average household can save around $600 on its yearly energy bills by installing heat pumps and induction stoves. Additionally, electrification protects us from future spikes in energy prices due to unstable fossil fuel prices.

Efficiency benefits low-income households

Making homes more energy efficient by weatherizing them reduces energy waste and bills. Low-income households, which spend disproportionately more income on home energy, could save up to 35% on their energy bills through weatherization projects.

Cleaner air inside our homes and buildings

Fossil fuel-powered appliances create air pollution that contributes to serious respiratory problems, like asthma, particularly in children. Unfortunately, in many homes, the air we breathe inside is dirtier than the air outside. Electrification not only reduces the warming caused by fossil fuels, it ensures the air we breathe while sleeping, cooking, and spending time with family indoors is cleaner and better for our health.

Good jobs in construction

Building electrification and efficiency will create good-paying career opportunities for construction workers, plumbers, heating and cooling installers, electricians, and more. These jobs will be created in every community in America and can’t be sent overseas.

Additional Resources

January 2023:

Briefly describe our policy agenda after telling your own story

You may see people out and about in January who are open to volunteering or action opportunities in 2023. Let’s practice leading with our own climate story, briefly explaining CCL’s policy agenda and asking open questions to get them interested in joining us.   

Example conversation

You: Hey Betty. Great to see you. Did you have a good holiday?

Betty: Yes! My whole family was together. What’s up with you and that climate group you like so much?

You: Thanks for asking. I like CCL because before I found it I felt so hopeless, and now I'm having a lot of fun working on climate with new friends. And we helped get some bills passed through Congress last year! [how to tell your own personal climate story]

Betty: That’s remarkable. So what is CCL all about?

You: We advocate for policies that are effective at reducing carbon pollution and building bridges both in Congress and in our communities. Educating our communities and promoting policy legislation to local and federal legislators are our priorities. The policies in our policy agenda include carbon pricing, healthy forests, building electrification and efficiency and clean energy permitting reform. What do you think about these topics?

Betty: I’d like to learn about electrification. How can I get involved?

You: The best way to get started is to tune in to our Info Session any Wednesday night at 8 p.m. Eastern.

Betty: I’ll do it. Send me the link.     

December, 2022

Practice leading with who we are by telling your story

Citizens’ Climate Lobby offers every person who is worried about climate change the opportunity to make an impact beyond their personal lifestyle choices. Our education and training turns ordinary citizens into highly effective volunteer lobbyists, organizers and communicators who get meaningful climate legislation passed. An especially effective way to introduce other people to CCL is to start with your own story and the part that CCL played in making you an effective advocate for climate solutions. Let’s practice.    

Three moments in time - your story and the role CCL played in your journey

Describe in your own words the transition from your pre-CCL self to your current self as an effective climate solution advocate. Use the three questions below to get started telling your story. 

1. What worried you about climate change before you discovered CCL? E.g., “I didn't feel like I could make a difference,” or, “I worried often about the impact of climate change on my children and grandchildren.”
  2. How has joining the CCL community encouraged you to do more? E.g., “I found an organization that helped me discover my voice,” or, “I discovered that many people care about our climate as much as I do and that gives me hope, energy and a clear direction.”
  3. How do you see your CCL work contributing to an effective climate movement? E.g., “I've already seen CCL help pass some major bipartisan bills in Congress,” or, “I’ve been able to establish a relationship with my member of Congress and talk to them about climate change, something I never thought was possible before joining CCL.”    

November, 2022:

Practice explaining how CCL set the stage for the IRA to pass

Senators Manchin and Schumer were in the room where the Inflation Reduction Act was negotiated, but you built the room where it happened. Practice sharing how CCL helped set the stage for the Inflation Reduction Act to pass so that you’re ready to talk to CCLers and aspiring CCLers: prospective volunteers, new volunteers and volunteers who are active again after taking a break during COVID. 

Talking points - How CCL helped set the stage for Congress to enact the Inflation Reduction Act

1. We have been building political will for major climate action in the United States for over a decade. 
  2. As a result, we’ve been a significant part of creating the context in which Congress operates on climate change. We haven't done it alone, but we have done it thoughtfully and persistently. 
  3. Stepping into the 2010 climate policy void (after the cap and trade bill failed), CCL built itself into a powerful grassroots organization. We know we are powerful because other organizations and members of Congress tell us so.
  4. We have advocated for climate policies that are good for the economy and people, and the Inflation Reduction Act is both. 
  5. Critical negotiations between key lawmakers would not have taken place if we hadn't been doing our work all those years and in particular over the last 18 months through the budget reconciliation process. 

October 2022:

Practice telling a story about someone impacted by climate

A recent report from the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication finds that hearing about people's personal experience with climate impacts such as extreme heat, floods or drought is the top thing that influences folks to change their minds, even beyond experiencing it themselves. If you interject into everyday conversations a story about climate impacts on someone you know, it can help to move people to be more favorable to climate action/carbon pricing. So, let’s practice our story telling.

Suggestions for how to practice 

We know that people learn best by saying the words out loud themselves, so for this exercise: 

1. Read these instructions to meeting attendees:
    Instructions: With a partner, take turns following the instructions below. Afterward, discuss with your partner how their story made you feel. You’ll have six minutes.
  2. Ask two people to model the exercise, and then invite everyone to practice. 

If you use Zoom breakout rooms (see Zoom’s training page on “Breakout Rooms” to learn how):

Put everyone into breakout rooms, two people per room, for six minutes. When everyone comes back together, ask a few people to share the story they told. 

If you use Zoom but you don’t use breakout rooms, invite a few attendee pairs to follow the instructions

Instructions - a story about someone you know

Think of a story about someone you know who has been impacted by climate change recently. For example, you could talk about a friend in California who experienced heat above 110 degrees. Or a relative who’s been impacted by fall hurricanes.* Conclude with a positive note about advocating more climate solutions to Congress. 

September 2022:

Practice talking about election and voting importance

Congress just enacted historic climate legislation. The midterm election is only weeks away, and a big turnout of environmentally minded voters will help to motivate candidates to support even stronger and more durable climate legislation. Increasing voter turnout is the mission of the nonpartisan nonprofit Environmental Voter Project, and CCL is working to push climate as an election issue, so let’s practice saying some election-related messages so we’re ready to talk with table visitors, friends, colleagues and the media. 

Environmental Voter Project messages

• “Nothing motivates a politician more than the prospect of winning or losing an election.”
  • “If we want true environmental and climate leadership, we must flood the electorate and make it impossible for politicians to run for office without leading on the environment.”
  • “Voting is a ‘sticky’ habit: once someone votes for the first time, they’re much more likely to vote again in future elections.”

Citizens’ Climate Lobby messages

• One of CCL’s core values is nonpartisanship. For us, engaging in elections does not mean endorsing one candidate or another. 
  • At CCL, we believe strongly that Democrats, Republicans, and even third party candidates can and should have ambitious climate stances.
  • If we speak up about climate during election season, and if we show up at the polls, it pushes candidates from every party to understand the importance of the climate issue and to come to the table with solutions.

August 2022:

Practice talking about the Inflation Reduction Act 

It’s happening! Congress is moving forward with an ambitious climate package that will reduce America’s emissions 40% by 2030 and lower energy costs for Americans. Let’s practice talking about some of the key benefits of the bill so we can help get the Inflation Reduction Act signed into law.

Inflation Reduction Act messages

1. Is  the Inflation Reduction Act really about climate change? Yes! The Inflation Reduction Act includes many climate provisions. If it passes, it will be the biggest Congressional action on climate ever. It includes tax credits that will make our energy cleaner and more affordable. It also includes a methane fee.
  2. Why is this bill so important? This bill has long been understood as the vehicle for major climate policy in this Congress. The negotiations have gone through many twists and turns — but we’re finally at the finish line. Senate leadership has now come to an agreement with moderate Democrats whose votes are needed to pass the legislation. You can help by calling your Democratic Senators and Representatives to urge them all to vote “yes” on this major climate bill.
  3. What can people in Republican states and districts do to support this bill? Although the Inflation Reduction Act includes many provisions that enjoy bipartisan support, only Democratic Senators and Representatives are expected to vote for it. Because of that, we are not calling or writing Republican Senators and Representatives about this bill. If you live in a red state and district, you can help by spreading the word to friends and family in blue states and districts.
  4. Why is CCL supporting this bill? Citizens’ Climate Lobby is enthusiastically supportive of this massive slate of climate policies! Our volunteers and staff have spent the last year pushing Congress to be as ambitious as possible on climate policies and this legislation will deliver. We’re particularly excited to see that the legislation will place a fee on methane pollution, a potent greenhouse gas. There are also historic levels of investment in clean energy tax credits. The bill also provides a range of incentives to consumers to relieve the high costs of energy and decrease utility bills, so that American households benefit. The faster we can build a clean energy economy, the better — and average Americans need this support to get there.  

July 2022:

Practice our carbon border adjustment talking points

Many members of Congress are interested in discussing and possibly enacting a carbon border adjustment mechanism (CBAM) as a way to level the international playing field for U.S. manufacturers. Let’s get ready to talk about CBAMs at tabling and presentations, with community leaders and the media, with friends and family, and at election season activities.  

CBAM talking points

1. To protect U.S. manufacturers and jobs, a carbon border adjustment mechanism would charge a fee for carbon-emitting fuels and carbon-intensive goods imported from countries that do not have a carbon emissions reduction program.
  2. Our major trading partners are already implementing CBAMs, including the European Union, and possibly Canada in the near future. These countries account for $1.8 trillion in trade with the U.S. at last count, so we need to pay attention to it.
  3. Our lawmakers can help the U.S. win by having a look at carbon border adjustments that are now being discussed in Congress. This policy would reward U.S. businesses that have invested in the carbon emission reduction innovations that enabled U.S. industries to be among the cleanest in the marketplace.
  4. Of course, since a CBAM is a policy that affects cross-border trade, international guidelines from the World Trade Organization (WTO) have to be considered to avoid a trade war. Most trade experts have advised that, to be WTO-compliant, a CBAM must be paired with a carbon price, which most developed economies already have.

Additional resource

CCL Community’s Understanding Border Carbon Adjustments training

CCL Community’s What are CBAMs? (scroll down) handout and CBAM Handout Explainer for volunteers

July 2020:

Practice talking about the dividend part of H.R.763

Equal cash payments to households from the I.R.S. is in the news and on many of our minds, so now is a good time for us to get ready to talk about the dividend part of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act. This communication exercise is designed to be used in breakout rooms as part of your online meeting.

The Dividend

When Congress is able to turn its attention to climate change again, it should remember one lesson learned from the COVID-19 pandemic: direct cash payments are a simple, transparent, and fair way to support Americans when economic winds are shifting. 

Over the next 10 years, America needs to move from a fossil fuel-based economy to a clean energy economy. By planning to give cash payments to Americans, we can ensure the health of our economy while making a gentle transition to a clean energy future. Here’s how. Congress could put a price on carbon pollution, driving our economy away from fossil fuels and toward clean energy sources, and it could rebate that money as an equal cash payment, or “dividend,” to all Americans each month. When dividends are given to everyone on a regular basis, regardless of their income status, low- and middle-income Americans benefit dramatically. Cash dividends are transparent and easy to track, unlike tax offsets. 

It's clear that money in the hands of Americans helps keep our economy running. That's why Congress and the President are using this tool in the current crisis. When we've dealt with COVID-19, let's use that same tool to combat climate change.

March 2020:

Jobs: Fossil fuels versus renewables

In meetings with members of Congress, local elected officials, and even with our neighbors, the topic of jobs is often raised when discussing climate policy.  Being ready with some talking points can help us agree on values and pivot to a discussion of the Energy Innovation Act. 

Laser Talk - Won’t making fossil fuels more expensive kill jobs?

Renewable energy actually creates more jobs than an equivalent amount of fossil energy. Fossil fuel jobs have shrunk mainly because of mechanization, not regulation. For example, in 1980 producing a ton of coal per hour required 52 miners; by 2015 that number dropped to 16. Even though more coal was being mined, coal mining lost 58 percent of its jobs between 1980 and 2015. [1]

In 2018, there were 2.4 million jobs in clean energy and energy efficiency, compared to only about half that in fossil energy. [2] Even without a price on carbon, installers and service technicians for solar and wind are in such demand that those careers are forecast to grow 11 to 13 times faster than the U.S. average. [3,4]

Our country will still need energy, whether it comes from low- or zero-carbon sources or from the old polluting sources of the past. Today, the energy technologies of the future create more jobs per energy dollar spent than those of the past and will likely continue to do so even as the new technologies mature. [5] Not only are wind and utility-scale solar power already cost-competitive with electricity from fossil fuels in many locations, [6,7] they provide 50 percent more jobs for the same amount of energy. [8]

And it’s not just renewable energy jobs! A 2017 study of a carbon tax in British Columbia that returns most revenue to taxpayers [9] showed that, over a six-year period, job gains in labor-intensive sectors like retail sales outpaced job losses in energy-intensive sectors like air travel. There were more employment opportunities with the carbon tax than without it.

February 2020:

I heard you say …  (reflections)

Reflections are an important, but underutilized communication skill. A simple reflection is done by saying back in your own words what you heard someone say. You can also add what you appreciate or the values you heard in what they said.  

Why bother to do this? It lets people know you’ve heard and understood them, and let’s them clarify any misunderstanding you might have. Reflections build trust and a stronger relationship because people feel heard and validated by your effort to understand them. 

Pair up with another volunteer at your chapter gathering

One person will practice first by asking their partner an open question about anything climate-related. Remember, an open question can’t be answered yes or no, and requires more of a response. It often starts with What or How. Then they will listen to what their partner says and reflect back to the partner what they heard. 

For example, I might ask my partner: What do you personally think about the part of the bill that pauses some regulations? Then I listen to what they say, and then I say it in my own words.

What did it feel like to have someone reflect your thoughts back to you?

The exercise

Partner 1 asks a climate-related question starting with What or How

Partner 2 responds in a few sentences. Partner 1 listens

Partner 1 reflects back in their own words what they heard

Partner 2 says how that felt

Switch roles and repeat

January 2020:

Start a conversation with a conservative community leader

Conservative community leaders can be good allies in persuading your members of Congress to support the Energy Innovation Act. Beginning a conversation with open questions is a good way to find out how concerned they are about climate change and whether they might help to advocate for the bill.

Exercise

You’ve scheduled a first phone call with Linda, the conservative CEO of a large local manufacturer.  Linda has been in the news recently for highlighting the city council’s unusually high business permit costs. Pair up with another volunteer and take turns reading aloud the parts in the communication exercise below and then afterwards discuss what went well and what you’d do differently next time. 

You: Linda, I appreciate that you’re talking about your business permit concerns with the city council. 

Linda: Thanks, it doesn’t make sense to me that the city refuses to lower permit costs when three of our local businesses have already relocated to other towns. 

You: It sounds like as a CEO you have experience with government inaction. I’ve also been thinking about gov’t inaction lately, mostly in the area of climate change. How concerned are you about the climate?

Linda: I am a bit concerned about how climate change will impact my business. And my son has been studying climate change in his science class, and the future projections are really worrisome. But the problem is so big it’s hard to know where to start. We all use oil to heat our homes in the winter.

You: It’s true we need to both solve climate change and not increase our home heating costs. Have you seen any of the climate change solutions proposed by conservatives in Congress? I’ve done a lot of reading about these solutions because I think whatever we do must have bipartisan support to be durable.

Linda: I’d like it if the Democrats would work together with us Republicans and agree on some initial steps.

You: I agree. I do some volunteer work with an organization that is urging Congress to do that. I’d be happy to tell you about it when you have time. We advocate a market-based climate solution that is supported by both Republicans and Democrats because it’s good for the economy and good for people.

Linda: Sure. I’d like to hear the main points.

December 2019:

Columbia University Report on the Energy Innovation Act

Dr. Noah Kaufman and his team at Columbia University have published an exciting new report that projects the outcomes of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, H.R.763.

Exercise

Pair up with another volunteer and take turns reading aloud the laser talk paragraphs below and then say aloud in your own words what you remember and want to use.

Laser Talk - Benefits of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act

The Columbia Center on Global Energy Policy (CGEP) recently released an analysis of H.R.763, the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act.

This milestone report concludes that H.R.763 would cut net greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions 36 to 38 percent by 2030 (from 2005 levels), exceeding U.S. commitments under the Paris Agreement. It would also improve Americans’ health by reducing sulfur and mercury emissions by an eye-popping 95 percent and smog-forming NOx emissions by 75 percent.

Under this bill, CGEP says, electric power generation would rapidly shift to low- and zero-carbon sources including solar, wind, nuclear, and natural gas with carbon capture and storage.

They also confirmed that the carbon dividend would, as CCL has long argued, cushion energy price impacts for consumers. Overall, the dividends paid would be comparable to the increased energy costs, but low and middle-income households would receive more in dividends than they pay in higher prices.

The main message from the CGEP report is that a price on carbon is a uniquely cost-effective policy tool because it incentivizes emissions reductions wherever and however they can be achieved, and does so at the lowest cost. That’s why economists overwhelmingly support a price on carbon as the most powerful first step to addressing climate change. 

Resource

Columbia University Report, An Assessment of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act

November 2019 

Practice saying people could support your CCL work by donating

Have you ever had someone thank you for your work on climate change? I bet many of us have had that experience. We can just say thank you back to them for the appreciation…  OR we can view that as an opportunity to encourage their support.

With a partner, say out loud why you give your time and/or money to CCL and practice inviting someone who admires your volunteering to support us. You can use the words here or make up your own role play!

In this season of giving, here’s how such a conversation might go:

Friend: I really admire you for all that climate work you do. I feel too busy to do it myself.

CCLer: Volunteering for CCL helps me keep my spirits up and gives me hope that we might be able to turn things around. Plus, I’ve met so many great people there! [or insert your own reason why CCL means a lot to you]

Friend: That’s pretty cool.

CCLer: You know you could help a little bit too. One thing you could do is donate, since I know you don’t have a lot of time. Every little bit helps and 64% of CCL’s budget is funded by people like you and me. You can even donate in honor of someone you love, like me! 

Friend: You know, I might just do that. What do I have to do? 

CCLer: Go to citizensclimatelobby.org and click on the donate button. I can text the link to you. [or go to my facebook fundraiser if you made one]

October 2019:

Dividend Delivery

In our June lobby meetings in D.C., members of Congress and their staff asked more questions about the Energy Innovation Act’s dividend than any other topic. CCL wisely commissioned Alan Lerman, who served in the U.S. Treasury Department for 42 years, to write a detailed dividend delivery study that addresses concerns about the cost and method of returning carbon fee proceeds to households. 

Let’s prepare to discuss dividend delivery in congressional offices and in other situations where you are discussing the bill with curious folks.

Laser Talk - How are carbon dividends going to be delivered to households?

The carbon dividend is one of the three legs of H.R.763, the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2019, so it’s important to get it right. CCL previously commissioned an expert study to dive deeply into how this would be done. Our goal was to minimize administrative cost and make it work smoothly for everyone involved, while still getting the money to as many households as possible.

The expert study confirmed that remitting carbon dividends directly to households is, as CCL had anticipated, the least costly and least burdensome way to recycle the revenue to consumers.

All the fees collected from fossil fuel suppliers go into the Carbon Dividend Trust Fund which is administered by the Treasury Department. The entirety of that fund, after administrative overhead, is distributed to recipients, who are identified from existing tax records or through a special form submitted by those who haven’t filed income taxes.

Most recipients will get their carbon dividend in the form of a direct bank deposit or as money added to an existing government-issued debit card, with paper checks as a backup. Eligibility changes – births, deaths, adoptions, age changes – will be taken care of on a monthly basis, and any discrepancies between the money they are entitled to and what they have received will be reconciled on the next income tax return.

CCL is satisfied that these steps will make the carbon dividend delivery fair, flexible, and highly visible to households.

For more details, refer to the Dividend Delivery Working Paper or accompanying FAQ. Note that this paper was written prior to H.R. 763’s introduction, so there are some minor policy differences.

September 2019:

Organize for November Lobby Day

To elevate the Energy Innovation Act to the top of Congress’s agenda, we’re having another one of CCL’s famous lobby days in November.  We hope that many of you will join us in D.C. for this empowering experience. 

Our D.C. lobby teams will need your help to plan and hold powerful and effective meetings with your members of Congress. We also need armies of volunteers in the districts to continue demonstrating grassroots, grasstops, and media support for the lobby meetings in D.C.  

At CCL’s November Lobby Day, attendees will enjoy a full day of training and workshops on November 11, followed by a lobby day on Capitol Hill on November 12. It’s time to figure out who can go from your region and to plan for your lobby meetings.  

Plan who will do what

1. Who can go from your chapter and region? Is there some way to help people cover expenses?  You’ll find simple fundraising ideas at cclusa.org/scholarships and registration, lodging, schedule, and travel information at cclusa.org/nld.
  2. Who will be the appointment setter for your Representative and each Senator? It’s usually the Liaison. If there is no appointment setter in place, ask for someone to volunteer to do that and inform Amy@citizensclimate.org who that someone is. If there are other chapters in your District, be sure to coordinate with them.  

Plan the lobby meeting

1. What are your priorities for the lobby meeting plan, how can you help the lobby meeting to be as successful as possible, and what is needed to move the relationship forward with your Representative or Senator? To help further the relationship, your lobby team might deliver a special appreciation, polling data, local climate impacts, personal stories or a report on what CCL has been doing in the district.   
  2. Need help thinking of ideas for the lobby meeting plan? Try doing a quick lobby meeting simulation (lobby meeting outline) like we do in our Climate Advocate Training to get your ideas flowing. This could also give volunteers a taste for lobbying and the desire to represent the chapter in D.C. for the lobby day! Having a constituent in D.C. will make a big difference. 

Collect, condense, and send your best ideas to the Liaison(s) by October 11th so that they can submit a meeting plan for each lobby meeting before the end of October. 

Resource

CCL Community’s Preparing for Lobby Day (cclusa.org/dc-prep) training page 

July 2020:

Practice talking about the dividend part of H.R.763

Equal cash payments to households from the I.R.S. is in the news and on many of our minds, so now is a good time for us to get ready to talk about the dividend part of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act. This communication exercise is designed to be used in breakout rooms as part of your online meeting.

The Dividend

When Congress is able to turn its attention to climate change again, it should remember one lesson learned from the COVID-19 pandemic: direct cash payments are a simple, transparent, and fair way to support Americans when economic winds are shifting. 

Over the next 10 years, America needs to move from a fossil fuel-based economy to a clean energy economy. By planning to give cash payments to Americans, we can ensure the health of our economy while making a gentle transition to a clean energy future. Here’s how. Congress could put a price on carbon pollution, driving our economy away from fossil fuels and toward clean energy sources, and it could rebate that money as an equal cash payment, or “dividend,” to all Americans each month. When dividends are given to everyone on a regular basis, regardless of their income status, low- and middle-income Americans benefit dramatically. Cash dividends are transparent and easy to track, unlike tax offsets. 

It's clear that money in the hands of Americans helps keep our economy running. That's why Congress and the President are using this tool in the current crisis. When we've dealt with COVID-19, let's use that same tool to combat climate change.

March 2020:

Jobs: Fossil fuels versus renewables

In meetings with members of Congress, local elected officials, and even with our neighbors, the topic of jobs is often raised when discussing climate policy.  Being ready with some talking points can help us agree on values and pivot to a discussion of the Energy Innovation Act. 

Laser Talk - Won’t making fossil fuels more expensive kill jobs?

Renewable energy actually creates more jobs than an equivalent amount of fossil energy. Fossil fuel jobs have shrunk mainly because of mechanization, not regulation. For example, in 1980 producing a ton of coal per hour required 52 miners; by 2015 that number dropped to 16. Even though more coal was being mined, coal mining lost 58 percent of its jobs between 1980 and 2015. [1]

In 2018, there were 2.4 million jobs in clean energy and energy efficiency, compared to only about half that in fossil energy. [2] Even without a price on carbon, installers and service technicians for solar and wind are in such demand that those careers are forecast to grow 11 to 13 times faster than the U.S. average. [3,4]

Our country will still need energy, whether it comes from low- or zero-carbon sources or from the old polluting sources of the past. Today, the energy technologies of the future create more jobs per energy dollar spent than those of the past and will likely continue to do so even as the new technologies mature. [5] Not only are wind and utility-scale solar power already cost-competitive with electricity from fossil fuels in many locations, [6,7] they provide 50 percent more jobs for the same amount of energy. [8]

And it’s not just renewable energy jobs! A 2017 study of a carbon tax in British Columbia that returns most revenue to taxpayers [9] showed that, over a six-year period, job gains in labor-intensive sectors like retail sales outpaced job losses in energy-intensive sectors like air travel. There were more employment opportunities with the carbon tax than without it.

February 2020:

I heard you say …  (reflections)

Reflections are an important, but underutilized communication skill. A simple reflection is done by saying back in your own words what you heard someone say. You can also add what you appreciate or the values you heard in what they said.  

Why bother to do this? It lets people know you’ve heard and understood them, and let’s them clarify any misunderstanding you might have. Reflections build trust and a stronger relationship because people feel heard and validated by your effort to understand them. 

Pair up with another volunteer at your chapter gathering

One person will practice first by asking their partner an open question about anything climate-related. Remember, an open question can’t be answered yes or no, and requires more of a response. It often starts with What or How. Then they will listen to what their partner says and reflect back to the partner what they heard. 

For example, I might ask my partner: What do you personally think about the part of the bill that pauses some regulations? Then I listen to what they say, and then I say it in my own words.

What did it feel like to have someone reflect your thoughts back to you?

The exercise

Partner 1 asks a climate-related question starting with What or How

Partner 2 responds in a few sentences. Partner 1 listens

Partner 1 reflects back in their own words what they heard

Partner 2 says how that felt

Switch roles and repeat

January 2020:

Start a conversation with a conservative community leader

Conservative community leaders can be good allies in persuading your members of Congress to support the Energy Innovation Act. Beginning a conversation with open questions is a good way to find out how concerned they are about climate change and whether they might help to advocate for the bill.

Exercise

You’ve scheduled a first phone call with Linda, the conservative CEO of a large local manufacturer.  Linda has been in the news recently for highlighting the city council’s unusually high business permit costs. Pair up with another volunteer and take turns reading aloud the parts in the communication exercise below and then afterwards discuss what went well and what you’d do differently next time. 

You: Linda, I appreciate that you’re talking about your business permit concerns with the city council. 

Linda: Thanks, it doesn’t make sense to me that the city refuses to lower permit costs when three of our local businesses have already relocated to other towns. 

You: It sounds like as a CEO you have experience with government inaction. I’ve also been thinking about gov’t inaction lately, mostly in the area of climate change. How concerned are you about the climate?

Linda: I am a bit concerned about how climate change will impact my business. And my son has been studying climate change in his science class, and the future projections are really worrisome. But the problem is so big it’s hard to know where to start. We all use oil to heat our homes in the winter.

You: It’s true we need to both solve climate change and not increase our home heating costs. Have you seen any of the climate change solutions proposed by conservatives in Congress? I’ve done a lot of reading about these solutions because I think whatever we do must have bipartisan support to be durable.

Linda: I’d like it if the Democrats would work together with us Republicans and agree on some initial steps.

You: I agree. I do some volunteer work with an organization that is urging Congress to do that. I’d be happy to tell you about it when you have time. We advocate a market-based climate solution that is supported by both Republicans and Democrats because it’s good for the economy and good for people.

Linda: Sure. I’d like to hear the main points.

December 2019:

Columbia University Report on the Energy Innovation Act

Dr. Noah Kaufman and his team at Columbia University have published an exciting new report that projects the outcomes of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, H.R.763.

Exercise

Pair up with another volunteer and take turns reading aloud the laser talk paragraphs below and then say aloud in your own words what you remember and want to use.

Laser Talk - Benefits of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act

The Columbia Center on Global Energy Policy (CGEP) recently released an analysis of H.R.763, the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act.

This milestone report concludes that H.R.763 would cut net greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions 36 to 38 percent by 2030 (from 2005 levels), exceeding U.S. commitments under the Paris Agreement. It would also improve Americans’ health by reducing sulfur and mercury emissions by an eye-popping 95 percent and smog-forming NOx emissions by 75 percent.

Under this bill, CGEP says, electric power generation would rapidly shift to low- and zero-carbon sources including solar, wind, nuclear, and natural gas with carbon capture and storage.

They also confirmed that the carbon dividend would, as CCL has long argued, cushion energy price impacts for consumers. Overall, the dividends paid would be comparable to the increased energy costs, but low and middle-income households would receive more in dividends than they pay in higher prices.

The main message from the CGEP report is that a price on carbon is a uniquely cost-effective policy tool because it incentivizes emissions reductions wherever and however they can be achieved, and does so at the lowest cost. That’s why economists overwhelmingly support a price on carbon as the most powerful first step to addressing climate change. 

Resource

Columbia University Report, An Assessment of the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act

November 2019 

Practice saying people could support your CCL work by donating

Have you ever had someone thank you for your work on climate change? I bet many of us have had that experience. We can just say thank you back to them for the appreciation…  OR we can view that as an opportunity to encourage their support.

With a partner, say out loud why you give your time and/or money to CCL and practice inviting someone who admires your volunteering to support us. You can use the words here or make up your own role play!

In this season of giving, here’s how such a conversation might go:

Friend: I really admire you for all that climate work you do. I feel too busy to do it myself.

CCLer: Volunteering for CCL helps me keep my spirits up and gives me hope that we might be able to turn things around. Plus, I’ve met so many great people there! [or insert your own reason why CCL means a lot to you]

Friend: That’s pretty cool.

CCLer: You know you could help a little bit too. One thing you could do is donate, since I know you don’t have a lot of time. Every little bit helps and 64% of CCL’s budget is funded by people like you and me. You can even donate in honor of someone you love, like me! 

Friend: You know, I might just do that. What do I have to do? 

CCLer: Go to citizensclimatelobby.org and click on the donate button. I can text the link to you. [or go to my facebook fundraiser if you made one]

October 2019:

Dividend Delivery

In our June lobby meetings in D.C., members of Congress and their staff asked more questions about the Energy Innovation Act’s dividend than any other topic. CCL wisely commissioned Alan Lerman, who served in the U.S. Treasury Department for 42 years, to write a detailed dividend delivery study that addresses concerns about the cost and method of returning carbon fee proceeds to households. 

Let’s prepare to discuss dividend delivery in congressional offices and in other situations where you are discussing the bill with curious folks.

Laser Talk - How are carbon dividends going to be delivered to households?

The carbon dividend is one of the three legs of H.R.763, the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act of 2019, so it’s important to get it right. CCL previously commissioned an expert study to dive deeply into how this would be done. Our goal was to minimize administrative cost and make it work smoothly for everyone involved, while still getting the money to as many households as possible.

The expert study confirmed that remitting carbon dividends directly to households is, as CCL had anticipated, the least costly and least burdensome way to recycle the revenue to consumers.

All the fees collected from fossil fuel suppliers go into the Carbon Dividend Trust Fund which is administered by the Treasury Department. The entirety of that fund, after administrative overhead, is distributed to recipients, who are identified from existing tax records or through a special form submitted by those who haven’t filed income taxes.

Most recipients will get their carbon dividend in the form of a direct bank deposit or as money added to an existing government-issued debit card, with paper checks as a backup. Eligibility changes – births, deaths, adoptions, age changes – will be taken care of on a monthly basis, and any discrepancies between the money they are entitled to and what they have received will be reconciled on the next income tax return.

CCL is satisfied that these steps will make the carbon dividend delivery fair, flexible, and highly visible to households.

For more details, refer to the Dividend Delivery Working Paper or accompanying FAQ. Note that this paper was written prior to H.R. 763’s introduction, so there are some minor policy differences.

September 2019:

Organize for November Lobby Day

To elevate the Energy Innovation Act to the top of Congress’s agenda, we’re having another one of CCL’s famous lobby days in November.  We hope that many of you will join us in D.C. for this empowering experience. 

Our D.C. lobby teams will need your help to plan and hold powerful and effective meetings with your members of Congress. We also need armies of volunteers in the districts to continue demonstrating grassroots, grasstops, and media support for the lobby meetings in D.C.  

At CCL’s November Lobby Day, attendees will enjoy a full day of training and workshops on November 11, followed by a lobby day on Capitol Hill on November 12. It’s time to figure out who can go from your region and to plan for your lobby meetings.  

Plan who will do what

1. Who can go from your chapter and region? Is there some way to help people cover expenses?  You’ll find simple fundraising ideas at cclusa.org/scholarships and registration, lodging, schedule, and travel information at cclusa.org/nld.
  2. Who will be the appointment setter for your Representative and each Senator? It’s usually the Liaison. If there is no appointment setter in place, ask for someone to volunteer to do that and inform Amy@citizensclimate.org who that someone is. If there are other chapters in your District, be sure to coordinate with them.  

Plan the lobby meeting

1. What are your priorities for the lobby meeting plan, how can you help the lobby meeting to be as successful as possible, and what is needed to move the relationship forward with your Representative or Senator? To help further the relationship, your lobby team might deliver a special appreciation, polling data, local climate impacts, personal stories or a report on what CCL has been doing in the district.   
  2. Need help thinking of ideas for the lobby meeting plan? Try doing a quick lobby meeting simulation (lobby meeting outline) like we do in our Climate Advocate Training to get your ideas flowing. This could also give volunteers a taste for lobbying and the desire to represent the chapter in D.C. for the lobby day! Having a constituent in D.C. will make a big difference. 

Collect, condense, and send your best ideas to the Liaison(s) by October 11th so that they can submit a meeting plan for each lobby meeting before the end of October. 

Resource

CCL Community’s Preparing for Lobby Day (cclusa.org/dc-prep) training page 

August 2019:

Starting a relationship with a local organization

In the action above, you identified a local chapter of a national organization that might be a good ally once you’ve built a relationship. Perhaps it’s one you belong to already!

Exercise: 

1. Find a partner, pick a role and read through the dialogue below together. Then discuss whether you could see yourself doing this and with whom. How would your ideal conversation go with the local organization you’re thinking of? 

2.  Imagine you sent an email, scheduled a call, and are talking with the director of a local organization on the telephone. What are the most important things to ask and say? It might be tempting to cram everything you have to say about CCL and the Energy Innovation Act into one long paragraph without stopping to breathe, but you haven’t yet asked about the organization’s thoughts on climate change and activities in the community.  So you decide to prioritize the relationship and make just one simple ask: to meet in person to talk more. 

Dialogue:

CCL Volunteer: Hello director.  I’ve heard lots of good things about your organization. People are really excited about your upcoming event. I’m _______________, and I’m enthusiastic about the things your group says on the environment because that’s one of my biggest worries. Would you please tell me a little more about your connection to the environment?

Director responds with some story, for example:  I grew up hiking and fishing, and I want to make sure my kids will be able to do that too.

CCL volunteer: Ask for details to build the relationship and to activate a pleasant memory of something they love, for example: Where do you like to go hiking?

Director responds with a story about someplace they like.

CCL volunteer: That sounds nice. I don’t hike much myself, but I like soaking up nature at the river near my home. I wanted to talk to you today because I thought we might have this appreciation of nature in common. I also work a lot on the issue of climate change with a group called Citizens’ Climate Lobby, which is committed to bringing people together from both parties with a practical approach. Is there a time when we could meet in person and see if there are ways that our organizations might work together? 

Director: That sounds like a good idea. We should keep talking. Send me some dates when you’re available, and I’ll coordinate a time so that my events manager can join us.

June 2019:

Talk to a friend about CCL 

During the summer, we are often out and about and running into friends at the local Farmers Market. Since most people rarely hear or talk about climate, summer is a great chance to break the silence by asking them what they think about climate change and telling our friends about volunteering with CCL. So keep your business cards or quarter page flyers handy in your summer bag, and practice how to open the conversation.

These one-on-one conversations are also an opportunity to practice your listening skills.

Practice exercise with a partner

Pretend you just ran into a friend who asked you what you’ve been up to lately. Pique their interest with a short sentence about something you did about climate change, and turn it back to them with a question. 

For example: “I decided to get more active about climate change, and I signed up to call my members of Congress once a month. It feels good to be doing something instead of just reading about bad news. Are you noticing more news about climate change these days? I’m curious what you think about the issue.”

After the partner exercise, ask a few volunteers to replay their conversation for the whole group.

Some more tips for your conversations:

Start the conversation with an open-ended question. Think of a question that starts with who, what, where, when or how to draw them out (“Why” questions are trickier because they can easily make people feel defensive).

Reflect back what you hear from them. Whatever they say, say it back in your words or theirs. This both lets them know you’ve heard them and encourages them to say more. 

Ask for more details. The more you draw them out, the more you can understand what will be useful for you to share with them, so ask a follow-up question or two.

Ask permission to share what you’ve been doing with CCL or learning about climate. “Can I tell you a bit about what I’ve learned so far this summer?” Asking helps them to be more engaged in what you share.

Plan for your follow-up. If your conversation goes well, ask if you can contact them again about going to a CCL meeting or other climate change event with you (or something else that fits the situation), and make sure you have or get their contact information. Don’t leave it to them to take the next step!

Additional resources

Climate Conversations With New Acquaintances

Effective Listening Skills

Resources and call recordings in The Effective Communication Action Team

April 2019:

Economic impacts of pricing carbon

Our laser talk practice offers some useful talking points about carbon pricing impacts that you can use while tabling and presenting, and in your lobby meetings.

Laser Talk: Won’t a carbon fee be bad for the economy?

A properly designed carbon policy will be good for the economy. The Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act [1] will have a positive impact on our well-being, especially if we consider the avoided costs of climate change and the health benefits from reduced air pollution.

An impressive 98 percent of economists agree that a price on carbon will promote efficiency and innovation. [2] A 2013 review by Resources for The Future [3] held that the impact of various carbon tax plans on GDP would be “trivially small,” and a 2014 analysis of the Carbon Fee and Dividend by REMI [4] predicted that over 20 years, it would actually increase job growth.

Neither of those studies accounted for how much money we will save by avoiding fossil fuel damages. [5] According to a 2016 government report, every metric ton of carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted now will cost tomorrow’s economy from $12 to $120, and that cost could double by 2050. [6] We currently emit over 200 metric tons of CO2 per second. [7] In 2017, a string of climate-related disasters cost our economy over $300 billion. [5]

If we include the health costs of fossil fuel air pollution, which have been estimated at $188 billion annually, [8] it’s clear that burning fossil fuels is already costing our economy upwards of $250 billion a year. This was confirmed by the Fourth National Climate Assessment [9] issued by our government in November 2018.

When someone claims a carbon tax will depress the economy, they fail to consider how returning the money back to U.S. households stimulates it, and also fail to account for the huge costs of doing nothing.

Category
Resource
Topics
Chapter Organizing